Small step but big milestone

Calvinmiddle

So lots of small steps being taking to drag us finally over the finish line and into the house (which to be honest if we had to we could have moved into at the start of the year, but someone wants everything done)

But today's small step is a big milestone, completion certificate has been issued.

So now chasing BuildZone for my structural warranty, which I need by the end of the month as by bridging loan runs out and I have to remortgage.

Also aware that the issue of this certificate starts the clock on my VAT submission and all that entails!

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Yes used BuildZone for both warranty and regs, the BCO company the got me to use (I signed up 2 years ago as it's taken so long) was ACT.  I employed a project manager to help me with the build so he dealt with them.  Recently found out that they subcontracted out most of the site visits to another surveyor who covers the Cambridge area for them.  But PM said they were fine to deal with.

Main reason for using them was cost of warranty at the time, then if I didn't just their surveyors for BC then would need to pay more for them to take my chosen surveyor report and write a report for the underwriters.

ACT were fine, no problem with passive slab, had seen it before and just wanted to check the layer of stone was before normal soil level and not on top so it couldn't slide out when being filled.

So next small step of getting the Structural Warranty that I paid about £2k has hit a brick wall.

The problem seems to be that as the roofers have given a warranty over the material used BuildZone are asking if it included the fitting and then they will exclude the roof from their warranty!!!

Has anyone come across anything like this before where the structural warranty provide wants to excluded things on the basis that someone has given a warranty on that part of the build?

the only thing slightly similar i have seen is on the one I have taken with selfbildzone, i have a some area of flat roof that will be GRP. In the terms of the warranty this has to have a separate guarantee from the installer.

On 25 July 2016 at 11:52, pauldoc said:

the only thing slightly similar i have seen is on the one I have taken with selfbildzone, i have a some area of flat roof that will be GRP. In the terms of the warranty this has to have a separate guarantee from the installer.

I have this, a 20 year guarantee from the manufacturer on the materials in which they will pay all costs to make roof good again.

But I'm being told by BuildZone that they want a 10 year guarantee on the workmanship.  Would any of trades give a 10year guarantee on your workmanship, the roofer gave a 1 yr guarantee already (which is now passed as the roof was on 18 months ago)

I offer 2 years and my mates think I'm mental. 

A roofer NOT offering 10 years or more would be instantly out of the running for me as, let's face it, we'd all expect a roof to last 20+ years. The materials are one thing, but a roof caving in after 3-5 years would need some answers. For such a catastrophic failure it would have to be down to workmanship or a serious failure of the chosen covering, but either way something as fundamental as the roof should have a long ( 10+ years ) warranty....damn right ;)