Pre-order meetings

gravelld

I'm meeting a few window suppliers in the next week or two. They are the usual suspect alu-clad suppliers, plus a uPVC supplier. The order is for replacement windows for a large-ish house, about 50m2.

I have preliminary quotes covering glazing, delivery, installation and removal, cills.

Just wondered if there was anything I should definitely be asking? Other than obviously looking up close at example windows and "getting a feel" my main points to agree are about installation details. I have a feeling there are a lot more practical questions to discover e.g. transfer of windows from truck to install location.

I read the pinned article, so thanks for that... just wondered if there was anything else.

Your point about the transfer from truck to install is good: there's a minor wheeze to think about there.

Where are those windows that are not  being fitted at that moment going to be kept?  By accident, we had a small flat area of concrete 'spare' (because of the disaster last year) on which we could keep the windows safely.

I had a couple of tie-downs points so we could strap them in place if it got windy : I was fussing  like a mother goose about that - and when it did get windy, everyone grinned sheepishly.

Watch the weather forecast.

I ordered a 4 to 7 tonne telehandler from HSS. My God ordering it was hard work. Clueless of Lancaster did the paper work. Their Insurance waiver only covered the first £5000 of loss (on the machine) - and the machine was valued at £25000. Had it all gone boobs up , we'd have been left with £20,000 to cover.  HSS do Not tell you that. The machine cost £23.02 to cover on the site insurance for a week. 

Allow half a day to sort out the paper work for insurance. Allow half a day for HSS to get their act together.

The checking process: managing that well at what is likely to be the end of a working day when everyone is focused on getting home is not easy.

Which makes me remember about Snagging Lists and retainers.  Gaulhofer are up front about that.

Is there a simple snagging checklist? If not make one.

I started checking by lunchtime on the last day - and made sure that everyone saw me doing it. I still missed stuff. The lads are here this morning naggling and fettling. (Door lock won't work)

Ian

• Thanks 1

Establish which window sealing products they will be using for fitting the windows  and whether the costs of the products are included with  the fitting/installation price..  Use the best products available ( for example, Compriband), as you will only get the one chance to do it properly.

• Thanks 1

That applies to everything - the guys who turned up to do ours expected us to supply EPDM for under our doors and compriband for where the external blind rails meet the cill. They asked for this in both cases on the day they actually needed the materials, despite the fact that they'd been onsite for days and we'd asked them when they were quoting whether they needed us to supply any materials.

• Thanks 1