Robust Sole plate detail or perhaps not

MikeSharp01

Many of you will recall our hickup around the concrete polishing of our new slab. (

)

Well after much thinking and soul searching we have chosen to look at tiling our floor. That means a slight change to the sole plate detail and I thought I would run it past the forum and see if it stacks up OK. The SE has OKed the split format as shown below but I have some concerns.1696686969_Splitsoleplateandwallbuildups.thumb.jpg.e98d6d10f1c93435758ed331783936f7.jpg

They are:

1. How to tidy up the two DPC / DPM tails that hand over the outer edge.
  2. Does taking the sole plate DPC up the out side of the inner sole plate make for a robust detail.
  3. How thin can a tile adhesive layer normally be so we can work out the final height based on the choosing a tile of a given thickness.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

I think the VCL needs to move to the inside of the wall and use a breather membrane on the outside.  You could use 2 breather membranes - 1 on the OSB and 1 over the external insulation.

I don't know what the double side tape is sticking to other than the concrete.  Why not single sided tape lapped from concrete, along DPC, then up to the internal VCL?

Regarding sole plate mortar, is this going above or below the DPC?  Often I have seen the mortar applied with a pointing gun after the frame is erected - packers are used in the meantime under each stud.  12mm should be fine for the tile adhesive.

Sorry yes @Mr Punter the VCL should read breather membrane I keep mixing those up. On the air tight membrane and the double sided tape - the air tight membrane is sealed to the concrete slab with the double sided butyl as in:318504617_butyltoairtightdetail.thumb.jpg.e93f4d672699dac5d23fa40367609bc5.jpg

I could use packers and a mortar gun to load up the mortar - I guess you do that before you actually start loading it with studs. The DPC is directly on the concrete and laps over the main DPM coming up the side of the polystyrene former and over the top, then the Mortar and then the sole plate timbers, putting mortar below the DPC feels like a potential damp path. I was wondering if I should bitumen down the DPC to ensure the join between the DPM and the sole plate DPC is sound.