Laptop

We watch Netflix via a laptop connected to the non smart tv via hdmi.

The laptop sits on a coffee table next to the tv. I use it with a mini Bluetooth keyboard / mouse. Wires traipsing across, not ideal. It also means I can't use the laptop. 

So I've another donated laptop on which the pcb keyboard connector is broken beyond repair. Only option is to use with a USB keyboard or indeed the mini Bluetooth one above. Other than that it works fine. This would be ideal to sit under the tv and forget about it, freeing up the other laptop. Questions:

1) Can I default set the laptop to feed the sound and graphics via the HDMI port? At the mo I have to go thru Settings every time. (Running Zorin Ubuntu derivative btw).

2) Is there any way I can leave the lid shut so the laptop just comes to life when switched on at the wall?

Cheers

You should be able to run a startup script that does everything you want, with the question mark over the lid switch/sensor and whether or not there is a way to disable that from software (may be, take a look in settings and see if there is a way to disable it - probably a "do nothing" option when closing the lid).

Sadly writing Linux scripts is not my forte, I've done a few, including one recently to force my new Linux box to default to 1280 x 1024 graphics on power on (before this res wasn't even a settings option), but @TerryE know a millions times more than me about it.  One issue is where to put the script so it executes at power on, and that varies from one Linux variant to another.  For example Mint 18.3 needs my resolution changing script in a different location to Lubuntu, even though both are forks from Ubuntu.

Best place to get an answer might be to ask on Reddit (accepting that there are some socially dysfunctional individuals there).  There's a sub-reddit for Zorin OS here: https://www.reddit.com/r/zorinos/

• Like 1