knock down internal wall?

1964 standard 3 bed semi. SWMBO fancies a kitchen/diner. The wall between the dining area and kitchen is brick or block and 120mm thick. Runs parallel with the 1st floor joists. Above is a bathroom and bedroom but the wall between these is NOT directly above the wall I'd like to remove. It's about 400mm out.

What investigations must I do? I know I'll need a building warrant and an electrician and plasterer but is this diy able??

Pop a floor board above and confirm if any joists are sitting on the wall. 

After that it's a couple of accrows and a big sledge and fill your boots. Depends on what you find you might need a steel beam in as support.

I'll take a pic and report back.

Like the idea of the first swing of a sledgehammer...Just got to map the heating pipes and cables first.

There's many sockets on this internal wall, does this mean a new consumer unit? 

Thought I'd read if your doing some work like this it triggers a regs update on other electicals?

Parallel to the wall would indicate its not load bearing, but it could be butressing the outer wall so if you can leave a stub it would help in that instance to stabilise the outer wall.

If its not structural, why would you need BC...?

12 hours ago, PeterW said:

If its not structural, why would you need BC...?

I'll take a pic and report back.

Like the idea of the first swing of a sledgehammer...Just got to map the heating pipes and cables first.

There's many sockets on this internal wall, does this mean a new consumer unit? 

Thought I'd read if your doing some work like this it triggers a regs update on other electicals?