Chris S

Hi everyone,

So here is my brief introduction...

We have recently moved into our new house and are about start planning a rear extension. We could not find a suitably proportioned property within our budget so after some investigation felt that this was the best (or only) way to achieve what we are after. It is currently a 3 bed mid terrace and, all going to plan, we will be adding a new kitchen and a multipurpose (guest room, home office etc) room downstairs and a fourth bedroom located centrally upstairs. The existing small kitchen and small dining room will most likely become a large dining room open to the new kitchen. Attached is a rough external view from the rear.

The plan is that I will do the majority of the architectural work with the support of various resources, including you guys. We will employ the services of a structural engineer and use a good builder who can advise us too. I am a design and project engineer of electro-mechanical products for various industries, hence I have a solid engineering approach but don't have much experience in the specifics of the architectural application.

So I'm more self design than self build - I hope that is ok on this forum? Do let me know if not! I am very grateful for the responses I have had so far to my first post re possibly sharing a party wall with our neighbours. I'd love to build it myself but its just not practical for us.

1pm is here so I must get back to the day job.

Thanks!

Extension view from rear.JPG

• Like 2

It looks neat too...nice design.

Steel work to open up downstairs and support the upstairs dormer looks challenging.

Probably a lot of planning to if you're going to live there while the builder works his magic.

What's either side of the terrace, have neighbours extended too?