Keep going...

Not sure what the best place for this is and don't want to split into separate posts.

As if our planning issue was not annoying enough, one new new problem arose linked to another one that I deferred considering while I could.

The news is that in spite of previous verbal assurance from the architect that MBC would take on the extension for us thanks to his involvement in other projects with them they refused to do it. Quoted for a new build only - and I wish I could take that quote.

The old one is the mortgage. I read this thread http://www.ebuild.co.uk/topic/15342-do-i-need-to-tell-my-mortgage-company-about-my-imminent-demolish-and-rebuild/page__st__20. We may have a similar issue even if we only try to extend as the roof will have to come down. I had the same phone conversation where they said "of course, you are going to make it better, just send us PP". Based on our current 1.29% fixed for another 4+ years vs 4.69%+ that self-build mortgage would cost (forgetting about early redemption charges and potential rate rises) if feels satisfying almost any condition set by the current lender will be cheaper than switching the mortgage. @Bitpipe , you mentioned your bank requested professional supervision - was it about having a Project Manager? Was this or the overpayment money you mentioned the deal breaker for you?

Our mortgage is roughly 50% LTV, the land alone certainly covers but will likely be below 60% LTV required.

Feels like a vicious circle at the moment. Add to that that we have a covenant that requires us to request a permission for works from the company that used to own the land over 60 years ago (and is dormant) - and the light ahead is hardly visible. We are not even close to starting yet :-)

9 minutes ago, oldkettle said:

The news is that in spite of previous verbal assurance from the architect that MBC would take on the extension for us thanks to his involvement in other projects with them they refused to do it. Quoted for a new build only - and I wish I could take that quote.

Not that I wish to "rub it in", but a verbal assurance from one company or individual about a 3rd party's involvement or commitment is not concrete advice on which to base anything, im afraid. 

I'd suggest that we focus on the architect here rather than MBC, as MBC clearly have done nothing wrong whatsoever in this instance and the architect has completely misled you, unless they can show you any written correspondence directly from MBC to the contrary of course? 

A rant is fine, does a bit of good even, but it needs to be focussed on the parties or individuals that have provoked it. In this case the architect. 

Pity you didn't ask here, as someone else had confirmation a year or so ago that MBC don't do extensions, and never have, as far as I know.  The reason is mainly that their system just doesn't lend itself to to fitting together with an existing building, plus they have a pretty full order book for new builds, I believe.

26 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Not that I wish to "rub it in", but a verbal assurance from one company or individual about a 3rd party's involvement or commitment is not concrete advice on which to base anything, im afraid. 

I'd suggest that we focus on the architect here rather than MBC, as MBC clearly have done nothing wrong whatsoever in this instance and the architect has completely misled you, unless they can show you any written correspondence directly from MBC to the contrary of course? 

A rant is fine, does a bit of good even, but it needs to be focussed on the parties or individuals that have provoked it. In this case the architect. 

I obviously did not make it clear enough that I have absolutely no reason to blame MBC for anything. I don't even want to blame the architect. The rant was more of "damn, can't get a break" and "what do I do now".