AshleyH Posted Sunday at 11:21 Posted Sunday at 11:21 Hi all. We are currently in the process of trying to remove 800x800 porcelain tiles from our open plan kitchen. The tile are coming up no problem but it's leaving a lot of adhesive behind. Our plan we to uplift the tiles, which are laid on 20mm EPS150 Wet UFH system, 20mm T&G and 12mm ply. The adhesive is sticking to the ply, also the ply and OSB are stuck together with screws and possibly adhesive. Ideally I want to get back to down the insulation and UFH pipes and pump a screed sub floor back in removing the floating floor system. What would people opinions be about best approaching this?! We've started in the ultiity and haven't been able to uplift a section of the sub floor yet.
Mr Punter Posted Sunday at 14:53 Posted Sunday at 14:53 It looks like a bitch of a job. Have you considered just taking up the tiles and fitting LVT flooring? It will feel far less cold underfoot and they do a great range. With the lack of underfloor insulation - which should be 150mm thick minimum for UFH - you won't get a perfect solution. You may be able to incorporate some radiators for the problem areas.
AshleyH Posted Sunday at 15:30 Author Posted Sunday at 15:30 Hi thank you for the reply, yes we had considered that I just don’t know how to get the adhesive off the ply. I’ve tried a chisel bit on a sds but it seem to gouge the ply. I was going to try and get the ply and osb up and pump screed over the ufh and keep the insulation down. This would be 32mm to back fill. My issue is getting the ply and osb up. Unless like you say I just get the tiles up, I just don’t know the best solution to remove the adhesive to lay LVT. It is a bigger of a job!
garrymartin Posted Sunday at 17:16 Posted Sunday at 17:16 1 hour ago, AshleyH said: I’ve tried a chisel bit on a sds but it seem to gouge the ply. You can get scraper bits for the SDS which would be much better for the job.
crispy_wafer Posted Sunday at 17:33 Posted Sunday at 17:33 (edited) Floor scraper? Never used one mind but they look ideal if they can get purchase into the adhesive. Or go at it with a floor grinder and create a load of dust! Edited Sunday at 17:34 by crispy_wafer
AshleyH Posted Sunday at 20:33 Author Posted Sunday at 20:33 Great thanks, I have just seen a video of a grinder with a diamond grinding cup and vacuum curtains around the grinder looks quite impressive not sure how practical it would be but looks like it works I’m just concerned about gauging too much of the ply if it is going to stay down. I’ll have ago in this utility bit first. Like I said ideally I wanted it all up except the ufh and insulation and back filled with screed. But it’s proving rather difficult uplifting the ply and osb as they are screwed and glued together!
Mr Punter Posted yesterday at 08:50 Posted yesterday at 08:50 You could just use some self level compound over the adhesive to create a smooth surface. The LVT installers would do this in any case.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now