Should I go SS when replacing my Copper Cylinder

MikeSharp01

Our copper cylinder at Millstone manor has sprung a leak and so I need to replace it. It is an RM 1040 x 450 and they do an AQUASTEL (Stainless Steel) equivalent. Should I go for the SS? The only issue is 28mm pipework as the copper cold feed and only 22mm on the Stainless version, which I could restrict for just the last few mm. I have to get this for tomorrow and Screwfix can get me either.

Any thoughts from the pipe wizards?

Have you tried Drakes just by S'fix (assuming Sevenoaks). Literally walk from S'fix through the car park , past Magnet and Drakes are round the corner in the same car park. Get all my special bits from them. Might do a cylinder. You've also got Grahams on the estate down by Bat & Ball station. Plumbcentre down past TP too a bit further back.

Edited by Onoff

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Have you tried Drakes just by S'fix (assuming Sevenoaks). Literally walk from S'fix through the car park , past Magnet and Drakes are round the corner in the same car park. Get all my special bits from them. Might do a cylinder. You've also got Grahams on the estate down by Bat & Ball station. Plumbcentre down past TP too a bit further back.

Which all shut at 12 today :/

I've a non leaking copper one here that size. Taken away for a friend when they had a combi fitted. Was going to use as a solar thermal buffer.....

Guessing 22mm inlet - the brass nut on the fitting is 32mm AF.

55 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Sounds a bit unplanned TBH, just depends how ready mike is to buy. 

Need it today once we have moved daughter into her new flat then had a shower at her place, none of ours are working. So thanks @Onoff if I cannot get the SS from screwfix might take yours in exchange for money. 

27 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Need it today once we have moved daughter into her new flat then had a shower at her place, none of ours are working. So thanks @Onoff if I cannot get the SS from screwfix might take yours in exchange for money. 

As I say this was working / non leaking. Been stored in the garage for a couple of years. 

I'm just popping down to Buildit for a couple of hours but happy to run it over thereafter or meet up somewhere.

38 minutes ago, Onoff said:

'm just popping down to Buildit for a couple of hours but happy to run it over thereafter

Thanks I have ordered the stainless version  from screwfix for tomorrow. Touch wood it will be there tomorrow and I can get it into the loft. 

@Nickfromwales how do you patch up the copper ones? When I tried years ago I could not get it hot enough to get a good solder joint even with my big gas touch and there was so much collateral damage of the insulation.