Garden wall design (blockwork)

Does anyone know of a standard design guide for blockwork garden walls? In particular I'm keen to find out maximum heights (not from a planning perspective but structural) and supporting pier spacing requirements.

I'm doing some digging later this week for drainage and services and whilst I'm at it would like to dig the foundation for a 15m long boundary wall I intend to build in the future.  The wall will be around 2m high with the lower 400mm retaining earth on our side (just earth no additional loads within 5m). My plan was a 600mm footing with 140mm block - 100mm concrete fill cavity - 140mm block upto ground level and then 140x215mm block above laid on the flat with support piers when necessary. Any pointers much appreciated!

Edited by bissoejosh

Can you not just do the first 2 course a block on it flat long ways so the wall is 450mm wide. Next 2 courses a block on it's flat side ways with one on it's edge so the wall is now 315mm wide then stepped in again to a block on it's flat when it's out of the ground. Six inch blocks like you have chosen are for pig houses!!! 

As far as piers go you will have one on each end then you can either do them every 3m or 5m so the spacing looks right.

The important bit is how you back fill it and how you intend to get rid of the water that will collect behind the wall.

37 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Can you not just do the first 2 course a block on it flat long ways so the wall is 450mm wide. Next 2 courses a block on it's flat side ways with one on it's edge so the wall is now 315mm wide then stepped in again to a block on it's flat when it's out of the ground. Six inch blocks like you have chosen are for pig houses!!! 

As far as piers go you will have one on each end then you can either do them every 3m or 5m so the spacing looks right.

The important bit is how you back fill it and how you intend to get rid of the water that will collect behind the wall.

Thanks!

I like the idea of laying the blocks long ways to begin, saves messing with the cavity and the reducing step above makes sense. Only reason for the 6 inch is that I've got several pallets spare already on site which I'd like to use up.

The ground is really well draining so I'd hope to get away with weep holes and possibly some pipe bedding / gravel (whatever is lying around) for the bottom 100mm or so.