Garage Doors: Choices....

swisscheese

I'm looking for some Garage doors.

Current thinking is steel, side hinged, in frame 1/3-2/3 opening.

Lots of questions

Can anybody recommend a supplier?

is it best to go supply and fit?

Can we fit these ourselves? easy job?

I'd like to source fairly locally if possible - Cambridge area.

Any recommendations?

Cheers.

Edited by swisscheese

Try the garage door company in Wellingborough. Not that local but they travel. Excellent pricing and good service.

You can fit it yourself, but if its a new build house, that will mean having to recover the VAT and frankly their installation charges are reasonable.

Most importantly, unless you or someone you know has done this yourself (not that difficult), its just simpler to get someone to do it. They survey the site and remain responsible for any issues.

• Like 1

We have Hormann up-and-over garage doors and a separate pedestrian door. Bought from one of the web suppliers. Fitted by our builder.

Nice doors, smooth mechanism but nothing exceptional. LONG delivery time as made-to-order from German factory and they had a factory shutdown around the time...

Thanks all.

Been doing some work on this and the width seems to be an issue with side hinged doors, most manufacturers only going to 8ft wide - I need 10ft and a bit wall to wall.

Might have to go sectional or up and over.  Looks like about 5 weeks for Hormann in a colour.

Ive just ordered a sectional Hormann, our size is not standard single or double from memory its about 3600.Lead time 6 weeks I am told and there is a price increase due in February.

I got a couple of quotes for suppy and fit and they were within £50 of each other and the supply only price from others was so little different to the supply and fit (and pay them net of vat and not have to wait for reclaim) by the time I added on what it would cost me in my builders time it was a no brainer to go for supply and fit and guarantee.

I would get quotes for both dont just think its cheaper to use you builder because he is on site.

3 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Ive just ordered a sectional Hormann, our size is not standard single or double from memory its about 3600.Lead time 6 weeks I am told and there is a price increase due in February.

I got a couple of quotes for suppy and fit and they were with £50 of each other and the supply only price from others was so little different to the supply and fit (and pay them net of vat and not have to wait for reclaim) by the time I added on what it would cost me in my builders time it was a no brainer to go for supply and fit and guarantee.

I would get quotes for both dont just think its cheaper to use you buildef because he is on site.

Thanks that's interesting, are the suppliers local to you or national types?

7 minutes ago, swisscheese said:

Thanks that's interesting, are the suppliers local to you or national types?

Local but I did get some quotes on line too. that was via www.thegaragedoorcentre.co.uk they are based in Northants but they sent the enquiry out to local suppliers near me and I had two out to quote. On supply only I just got online prices no visit to quote.

I just checked and my door is 3790 wide x 2125high It was £2495 ex vat (zero rated so I dont have to reclaim) supply and fit with two remotes and in Ral colour and comes with a guarantee from local installer as well as Hormann.

• Like 1