Making up the 'fall'

Pocster

Right! ::$

Architect's been out and yes there are issues!

Started a separate thread as it's a different question :$:$

The 'front' slab of my property conceals an underground portion of the house.

So the 'plan' is (bottom to top)

High compressive insulation i.e. expensive :D

EDPM ; this has to be used as waterproofing and also I have 4 walk on sky lights; so has to waterproof around the up stands (haven't bought them yet!! $$$$$$)

Cavity drain (Anco) type thing in front of build and at front of plot to deal with surface water

Rebar + concrete pour on everything else

The 'front' of the build i.e. the entrance current sits at 38cm from the existing slab (50mm for insulation ; 75mm for screed planned)

The front of the slab i.e. where it meets the road is only 18cm

So I need to create a gentle slope (Architect had babies telling me the entrance to the property needs to be level or no more than a 20mm step ^_^)

My question is where do I make this 'slope'. I *assume* (dangerous word) ; I do as planned and for the final finish (tile, blocks whatever) I make the slope then going from

380mm-50mm-75mm 255 (front of property) to the edge of plot 180mm-50mm-75mm = 55

At this point in time I have no idea what the final finish will be!

Any advice welcome!

58 minutes ago, pocster said:

20mm step

15mm for part M I think and IIRC you need a flat portion in front of the door - check!

1 hour ago, pocster said:

My question is where do I make this 'slope'. I *assume* (dangerous word) ; I do as planned and for the final finish (tile, blocks whatever) I make the slope then going from

380mm-50mm-75mm 255 (front of property) to the edge of plot 180mm-50mm-75mm = 55

That sounds OK but a drawing would help. If I understand correctly you have a 200mm drop over what distance?

My wonderful architect has just supplied a drawing which he forgot to give me !

Needless to say that causes issues

He wants 120mm insulation ; this of course isn’t possible with a 75mm screed .

if I use 50mm can I insulate internally ( on the ceiling ) to claw back the u value ? . Would insulated plasterboard help ???

11 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Over that distance you can have a series of very small falls, 50mm, and flat sections with the inset glass sections, but they will be set at the different levels if they are part of the path.

Ok .

wont that look bad I.e 50 mm steps ??

I was wondering if I could install higher than I need up stands then once I know my final floor finish cut them in situ to suit ....

Thinking about it .....

make my upstands too high as I said so cut to suit .

Create my slope with sand and dry cement . Get my slope then sprinkle with water to form my semi solid base before final finish ( architect has paving blocks ; but they will be too thick - what else can I do apart from patio type tiles ?? )

cheers 

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

I thought the falls would be slopes between the flat sections of rooflight or do the roof lights stick up?

Sorry if I confused you.

My current concrete slab is level with 4 sky light holes in it.

My build is 38cm above this and at the plot entrance 18cm so I need to generate a slope for that.

So I *assume* (that word again) ; once the up stands are in and I've made my slope (sand + dry cement a good plan?) ; plus I know what my final floor finish will be I cut the in situ up stands to match the fall..... ???????????????

I measured the length of slope and at it's longest point it's 6m.

IMG_6486.jpg

Edited by pocster

I’ve also found out the upstands are only around 150mm . So I assume I have to put concrete blocks around the sky light openings to gain height . EDPM up them . Add the upstand later - so glass is flush with finished floor and add an EDPM layer around the upstand overlapping the concrete blocks EDPM 

???

Wetting dry sand and cement won’t work to set it - it will need more moisture than you can provide that way and it will move everywhere. 

What is the purpose of this area..?? Walk on..? Drive on..? This dictates the build up not what the architect thinks may work ..!

You need a min of 100mm for BRegs for insulation on this so the over and under may work but those concrete curbs will be a massive cold bridge. 

What has the architect provided so far ..?? 

28 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Wetting dry sand and cement won’t work to set it - it will need more moisture than you can provide that way and it will move everywhere. 

What is the purpose of this area..?? Walk on..? Drive on..? This dictates the build up not what the architect thinks may work ..!

You need a min of 100mm for BRegs for insulation on this so the over and under may work but those concrete curbs will be a massive cold bridge. 

What has the architect provided so far ..?? 

He hasn't provided a lot!

The 'roof' can be driven on.

As I said can't get 100mm (let alone architects required 120mm); so will have to do some internally on ceiling.

No kerbs - the area is 'bound' on 3 sides so was just going to shutter the 1 open side. ( 1 side build, 1 side wall , 1 side kerbs for entrance but not above build)

cheers