LoRaWan - house and farm alarm system?

readiescards

Consider house alarms now.  Didn't pre-wire house so all a bit retro.  So a radio based solution has some merit.  Ideally as well as a few motion sensors and door/window open sensors inside it would be great to have a few outside.  While maybe I can rig up a data cable to the gate 25metres from the property it would seem better to make that radio based and then I can extend it to my drive entrance 150m away with the right tech.  Thinking beyond that with the right tech I could start to monitor our farm too.

LoRaWan interests me a lot for such a task - anyone with LoRaWAN experience?  Any dev kit recommendations?

Ta Paul - a techy

Guest Alphonsox
7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Texecom stuff is good but they supposedly don’t supply to end users and getting engineer codes is down to searching the interweb from experience. 

I got all my stuff from Alert Electrical             and signed up with the Texecom installer program with no problems. The install was relatively straight forward with all required codes etc included with the components. (Not thinking of Eaton systems are you - I have heard that they are difficult to deal with as a self installer)

I think that is/was the official position with Visonic but I think it's changed as they are available on Amazon now.

I put our Visonic system in 10 years ago. The panel has a lot of functions most people will never need which might make it confusing for people to set up but we're very happy. We used their Quad series wireless PIR sensors which have very good battery life if you turn off the LED on them using the link inside. They seem to work through multiple walls. We only use the key fob to arm and disarm the panel so it works much like your car alarm. Lock the front door, press the button on the key fob and you're good to go. You can have it call you with the alarm status.

The panel we have is mainly for wireless sensors but also has a wired input and output on the back. The output could be used to control an electronic lock and the input for wired sensors. I think the output can also be controlled by a spare button on the key fob.

The range on the key fobs doesn't seem isn't huge - about 10 meters through a wall or two.

I don't know anything about range extenders.

• Like 1