Electrical socket converter question

Have you got a single or double gang box in the wall, and is it currently wired to a ring final?

What you've linked to is a conversion outlet, that fits a single gang box.  Your best bet would be to fit a second single gang box alongside and use that to connect up the FCU.  A word of caution, how many spurs do you already have on that ring final?

Hi, its just a single gang box at the moment, which is a switched spur for a built in dishwasher. I just wanted to add a socket to run a coffee machine because it’s the most convienient location. 

And its in a a tiled wall which is why I was looking at the conversion plates.

Edited by Mikey_1980

So, is it a spur or is in part of the ring final?  Easy way to check is whether or not there are two cables going in to it, if there are then it's part of the ring final, if they aren't then it's already a spur and you ideally need to find where that spur is fed from. 

7 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

So, is it a spur or is in part of the ring final?  Easy way to check is whether or not there are two cables going in to it, if there are then it's part of the ring final, if they aren't then it's already a spur and you ideally need to find where that spur is fed from. 

Erm...two cables could just mean it's a a spur feeding a spur!

Just now, Onoff said:

Erm...two cables could just mean it's a a spur feeding a spur!

Very true - forgot that possibility!

Still need to know if this is really a spur off the ring final or a separate spur taken off somewhere else, or a part of the ring final, though.  I'm not wholly comfortable giving blind suggestions without knowing where that single gang socket is currently fed from, as it may well have been added at some time when the dishwasher was fitted, and I've seen all sorts of wonderful jobs like that, including a spur fed directly from the non-switched side of a 45 A cooker switch...............

AEI USED TO do what you want:

https://www.flameport.com/electric_museum/sockets_13A_BS1363/aei_socket_with_fused_outlet.cs4

I'd go surface dual pattress box carefully positioned over the old one. You can get them different depths:

https://www.ukelectricalsupplies.com/Click-Dual-29mm-Surface-Pattress-Box.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shop&utm_campaign=feed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt8jgovKv2AIVab7tCh1WgAB9EAQYAiABEgJF3PD_BwE

Then a 1G socket and separate switch. 

EDIT: It will be proud off the wall!!!

Or bite the bullet and let in a dual back box.

Edited by Onoff