Greetings

Spangles

On 12/26/2017 at 00:05, Onoff said:

Interesting links if you Google "Passivhaus tropics". The Austrian embassy in Jakarta for instance. Also a good PDF on passive building in Australia.

After a lot of reading up last night, turns out it's not as much of a 'spanner in the cogs' as i initially thought it would be.

Where the site is located, it's rather hot and dry as opposed to hot and humid in the middle of the island.  

For hot water, evacuated solar tube system will be more than enough all year round.

Concrete blocks with insulation in the middle will help a lot to keep interior cool. 

Here's what they do here 

https://www.ubp.mu/sites/default/files/fiche_technique_ubp_vf_3-ecoblock.pdf

Roofing options...I was thinking about thatch roof but changed my mind and will go with metal truss that will support corrugated metal sheets. Plasterboard on the ceiling should take care of the heat from the roof. 

i doubt it will be a net zero energy house unless I use part of the site to have an array of solar pv panels to offset electricity usage from the grid. 

Thanks for the info though.

Spangles

Even though solar thermal (ST) will work well all year round, you may find that photovoltaic (PV) is the better option, even for your domestic hot water (DHW).

It needs no servicing, no moving parts (apart from an inverter fan), gives you 'power flexibility' i.e. you can use it for other things, and can be incorporated into a rook structure, so looks better and helps keep the roof temperatures down (as long as you are using the power).

I have no idea how stable the electrical grid is where you are, but it may help, with the right setup, to give you some energy independence.  Keeping a few lights and a fridge, or water pump, going can be useful.

@Onoff The project is an eco/mountain lodge designed for the tourism sector. The site can accomodate at least 20 units and the first one will give me a good idea what sort of costs involved and determine how many I will be able to build in the short term. (guestimate of 3 units max)

I have setup shop here in the landscaping business and own a backhoe loader (volvo BL71). While the business is doing fine, I don't see myself doing it forever as I'm not getting any younger, hence the build project. 

@SteamyTea Evacuated solar tube will reduce the amount of deep cycle batteries the system requires if I went with solar pv for hot water. Electrical grid is very stable so no worries on that front. 

Planning ahead : Solar evacuated tube setup at the top of the site along with the hot water tanks to provide water for the units further down. Gravity feed should be enough to not require a water pump or one that doesn't need to be 3HP. I think this should be ok...and takes off the 'ugly' look it would if fitted on the roof of the bungalow. 

The main water tank will be located at the bottom (car park/utilities area) and a secondary one placed at the top. Solar pv panels should be enough to power a transfer pump during the day to fill up the secondary one. 

Any mistake I've made in my plans, do not hesitate to point it out please. 

Spangles

I think there may be good models from places like Oz Coastal and Singapore, and perhaps some of the less desert-y gulf places such as Oman. Places which are tropical but also have advanced construction industries.

Are there good historic vernacular practices in Mauritius?

Can you do creative things with water ... e.g. Evaporating it inside for cooling, or using some sort of fabric design to cool the temperature overnight and keep it cool through the day?

I wonder what the likes of Hilton do at their holiday villages and villas etc.

F

Also shooting a little in the dark.

Edited by Ferdinand

@Ferdinand I'm not sure about good vernacular practices around these parts. They seem to be more concerned that it's 'cyclone' proof, boundary distance rules etc than what material you use and how it fits into the environment. 

I don't think doing creative things with water to help with cooling will be necessary since a space between the ceiling and the corrugated roof sheets will cut down a lot on heat transmission into the building and as it's a geared towards tourism, people are more out and about during the day than staying in with the aircon all day long. But it's a good shout and I'll keep that in mind.

The sun goes behind the mountain and the site is in the 'shade' as from 14:00 which is a great relief when you want to enjoy a splash in the pool or a cold beer on the decking.

Spangles