Week 1 - Finally clearing the site

So after three years of planning shenanigans, plenty of back and forth over designs and a house sale that is (hopefully) completing soon, we're finally doing something meaningful on the plot. Last week saw us mark the foundation outlines, set up a few levels and work out a plan of action for clearing the site.

First up is removing the leftover brick supports and plastic sheeting from an old summer house/chalet, then on to the the overgrown brambles and finally clearing a tonne of dead wood from years of blown down trees that were cut up and left in place.

But the biggest and most precarious job will come when we try to move the tree house my late grandfather built back in 1992. It's stood the test of time, providing many adventures for both myself and my brother, and now our two young boys. The fact that three tress around it that were felled in numerous storms over the past 30-years managed to just miss it is a bloody miracle. So it deserves all the care and attention to move it to a new safe spot, and receive some much needed replacement legs, boards and felt. No idea how we're going to do that though...

Next week we hopefully start the dig out, ready for the piles - but the rest of this week will be clearing, laying some hardcore and marking out some of the drainage/utility runs. More to come!

IMG_6250.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Get some 3x2 timber, make a cross brace inside the playhouse to brace it up and lift it with the digger, two large straps around it. 

I think that’s what we’re thinking. Might use some of the brick/mortar supports from the old chalet stacked up when we place it down too. Will report back!