Vapour impermeable sealants

Peter Thompson

Our supplier suggested that as we had to completely line our SIPs kit with PIR, once the joints had been foil-taped we would effectively have created a continuous VCL.  I'm aware that there could be flaws in this approach, but we're doing it anyway.

At wall and roof junctions it's tricky to tape properly using foil tape, and using a decent airtightness tape, especially one made for corners, would be incredibly expensive.

As the PIR junctions are very neatly done (I used an insulation saw), I've experimented using Soudal Vapourseal from Toolstation.  It's very slow to dry, but is supposed to be water and vapour impermeable and is economical and very easy to use.  It's now out of stock and likely to be discontinued by them.  Looking at intumescent sealant, it seems to be the same chemical formula...and is also an acrylic sealant that doesn't pass vapours.

Are there any opinions on this, and has anyone used a similar product for vapour sealing.

Airtighess tape need not be too dear.

Screenshot_2024-10-17-21-24-19-085_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.92e197d9c8b3923abf8ab6e53270aa42.jpg

You don't need the preformed corners, just a sharp knife and some practice it's not to hard to seal them up satisfactorily. 

Regarding sealants, something that remains permanently flexible is the aim of the game. The sausages are typically cheaper than the tubes too. Most generic acoustic sealants should be ok too but I've never used them personally. 

• Like 1