Light Spillage Mitigation

Hi Everyone

As part of our planning permission for our new build in an AOAB we need to provide details of a glass coating on all our windows to mitigate light spillage to protect the environment from light pollution. 

This is the exact wording - which is pretty vague and we have no idea what levels we are needing to achieve. Does anyone have any experience of having to implement a similar mitigation strategy and what product they used and what Visible Light Transmission reduction was deemed appropriate?

Prior to the construction of the development hereby approved above slab level, details of the specification of glass coating to be applied to the external glazing of openings on all elevations, shall be submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority, and thereafter the glazing shall be implemented and retained in perpetuity in accordance with the approved details.

Reason: To minimise visible light transmittance and prevent illumination and light spill for the protection of the appearance of the area, the environment and wildlife, and local residents from light pollution.

Many thanks for any thoughts

Matt

Thus might be helpful...

https://www.i-buildmagazine.com/features/rural-retreat/1439-the-self-build-diaries-lindsey-and-rik-goodman

The guy picked my brain ref SageGlass and used it for exactly the same reason. The property also featured on Grand Designs. I believe they rent it out, so you may be able to contact him to find our what spec he had to achieve, but SageGlasss may not be an option as I heard a couple if years ago that they were no longer quoting for residential use.

Edited by NSS