Third bedroom off a second bedroom

NFA Yomz

I purchased a terraced 3 bedroom Victorian House, 2 years ago with the third bedroom only accessible via the second bedroom and a downstairs bathroom. Please see the floorplan attached.

I am looking to move my bathroom upstairs potentially and I have been thinking perhaps the best way to this is to flip the direction of my stairs to start in the rear living room under the stairs, going right to left rather than left to right as it currently is. I will then seek to create a corridor to the third room and have new doors fitted for separate access to each room.

I am wondering if losing one bedroom would effectively devalue the price of the property?

I am also wondering whether this is the best way to move my bathroom upstairs. I am open to suggestions!

Please see below dimensions:

Lounge13' 6" x 9' 8" (4.11m x 2.95m) Carpet, skirting, radiator, dado rail, under stairs storage cupboard, double glazed window to rear.

Diningroom13' 6" x 9' 8" (4.11m x 2.95m) Laminate flooring, skirting, radiator, dado rail, double glazed window to front.

Kitchen9' 8" x 9' 5" (2.95m x 2.87m) Vinyl flooring, skirting, a range of wall and floor units with work surfaces over, plumbed for washing machine, partly tiled walls, double glazed window to side.

Showerroom Vinyl flooring, corner shower, low level W/C, wash hand basin on pedestal, towel rail, tiled walls, double glazed window to side.

Bedroomone13' 5" x 10' 1" (4.09m x 3.07m) Carpet, skirting, radiator, storage cupboard, 2x double glazed window to front.

Bedroomtwo13' 5" x 9' 8" (4.09m x 2.95m) Carpet, skirting, double glazed window to rear, radiator, storage cupboard, access to 3rd bedroom.

Bedroomthree10' 0" x 8' 9" (3.05m x 2.67m) Access via bedroom two, carpet, skirting, radiator, double glazed window to rear.

IMG_4146.PNG

1 hour ago, NFA Yomz said:

I purchased a terraced 3 bedroom Victorian House, 2 years ago with the third bedroom only accessible via the second bedroom and a downstairs bathroom. Please see the floorplan attached.

I am looking to move my bathroom upstairs potentially and I have been thinking perhaps the best way to this is to flip the direction of my stairs to start in the rear living room under the stairs, going right to left rather than left to right as it currently is. I will then seek to create a corridor to the third room and have new doors fitted for separate access to each room.

I am wondering if losing one bedroom would effectively devalue the price of the property?

I am also wondering whether this is the best way to move my bathroom upstairs. I am open to suggestions!

Please see below dimensions:

Lounge13' 6" x 9' 8" (4.11m x 2.95m) Carpet, skirting, radiator, dado rail, under stairs storage cupboard, double glazed window to rear.

Diningroom13' 6" x 9' 8" (4.11m x 2.95m) Laminate flooring, skirting, radiator, dado rail, double glazed window to front.

Kitchen9' 8" x 9' 5" (2.95m x 2.87m) Vinyl flooring, skirting, a range of wall and floor units with work surfaces over, plumbed for washing machine, partly tiled walls, double glazed window to side.

Showerroom Vinyl flooring, corner shower, low level W/C, wash hand basin on pedestal, towel rail, tiled walls, double glazed window to side.

Bedroomone13' 5" x 10' 1" (4.09m x 3.07m) Carpet, skirting, radiator, storage cupboard, 2x double glazed window to front.

Bedroomtwo13' 5" x 9' 8" (4.09m x 2.95m) Carpet, skirting, double glazed window to rear, radiator, storage cupboard, access to 3rd bedroom.

Bedroomthree10' 0" x 8' 9" (3.05m x 2.67m) Access via bedroom two, carpet, skirting, radiator, double glazed window to rear.

IMG_4146.PNG

I'd leave the stairs and work with what you have. Options:

1. Middle bedroom becomes hall and bathroom. Hall serves staircase to new 3rd bedroom  located in loftspace.

2. Fill in side return on ground floor and extend out the back a bit. Or partially fill the side return leaving a lightwell. Kitchen and shower room becomes lounge. 

3. Move kitchen to where lounge currently is with WC below stairs.

4. Current dining room could become a study/ocassional bedroom.

1 hour ago, TommoUK said:

I'd leave the stairs and work with what you have. Options:

1. Middle bedroom becomes hall and bathroom. Hall serves staircase to new 3rd bedroom  located in loftspace.

2. Fill in side return on ground floor and extend out the back a bit. Or partially fill the side return leaving a lightwell. Kitchen and shower room becomes lounge. 

3. Move kitchen to where lounge currently is with WC below stairs.

4. Current dining room could become a study/ocassional bedroom.

Thank you Tommo. I am wondering, if I was to make the middle bedroom a hall and bathroom, how the current third bedroom can be accessed separately?

I got a quote of £10k to flip my stairs direction and create a corridor to my third bedroom, therefore having access to each room.

3 hours ago, NFA Yomz said:

I have been thinking perhaps the best way to this is to flip the direction of my stairs to start in the rear living room under the stairs, going right to left rather than left to right as it currently is

Rotate 90°, not 180:

FloorPlan.png.0640ae2e1e1c80c508ef0cbcf4c7e459.png

42 minutes ago, NFA Yomz said:

Thank you Tommo. I am wondering, if I was to make the middle bedroom a hall and bathroom, how the current third bedroom can be accessed separately?

I got a quote of £10k to flip my stairs direction and create a corridor to my third bedroom, therefore having access to each room.

You'd leave the stairs in the same place. You want your stairs coming out of your overall depth (as you have more of that) not the 4m width as everything becomes a bit skinny. So leave the stairs where it is and either keep it the same direction or flip it. Either way you will need a landing to and a hall to leave options for future loft development. A hall would be needed to access the existing 3rd bedroom.  

15 minutes ago, TommoUK said:

You'd leave the stairs in the same place. You want your stairs coming out of your overall depth (as you have more of that) not the 4m width as everything becomes a bit skinny. So leave the stairs where it is and either keep it the same direction or flip it. Either way you will need a landing to and a hall to leave options for future loft development. A hall would be needed to access the existing 3rd bedroom.  

Hi Tommo, thank you. I think I get what you mean. Maybe helps me save costs on flipping the stairs, by just using the current stairs. So I am clear, are you able to illustrate this on the floorplan i provided? I just want to make sense 100% of the suggestions you have made

Hi Tommo, thank you. I think I get what you mean. Maybe helps me save costs on flipping the stairs, by just using the current stairs. So I am clear, are you able to illustrate this on the floorplan i provided? I just want to make sense 100% of the suggestions you have made

Have tried. Forgive the scribbles as Im on a train. I would position door to rooms to provide light to the hall/landing. Your next flight of stairs to a future upper floor would mirror existing stairs.

20240925_133531.jpg

17 minutes ago, TommoUK said:

Have tried. Forgive the scribbles as Im on a train. I would position door to rooms to provide light to the hall/landing. Your next flight of stairs to a future upper floor would mirror existing stairs.

20240925_133531.jpg

Thanks a million Tommo! That looks great. Saves moving the stairs. It would be a builder I imagine I would need to find to create a cornered off room within my middle room for the bathroom? Probably also make sense to remove the chimney breast in the middle room to allow more space for bathroom 

8 minutes ago, NFA Yomz said:

Thanks a million Tommo! That looks great. Saves moving the stairs. It would be a builder I imagine I would need to find to create a cornered off room within my middle room for the bathroom? Probably also make sense to remove the chimney breast in the middle room to allow more space for bathroom 

..try and have a masterplan even if you don't build it all at the same time. Yes take out the chimney to make more room in your bathroom and future loft room but you will need party wall agreement.

45 minutes ago, TommoUK said:

..try and have a masterplan even if you don't build it all at the same time. Yes take out the chimney to make more room in your bathroom and future loft room but you will need party wall agreement.

Makes complete sense, thank you. I imagine you have had such works done before? or are you an architect by trade?

Makes complete sense, thank you. I imagine you have had such works done before? or are you an architect by trade?

Yes, many times. You can of course put the stairs the other way but you end up no better off for more cost. And if you go up in to the loft you want to try and 'land' in the highest part. 

41 minutes ago, TommoUK said:

Yes, many times. You can of course put the stairs the other way but you end up no better off for more cost. And if you go up in to the loft you want to try and 'land' in the highest part. 

Thank you. I am thinking logical place to start is to get stud walls up to create a hall and a room created within the middle room for the bathroom

How about a first floor rear extension (shown in red). Turn the rear part of the first floor into a Bedroom with a rear window. Provide a Bathroom shown in green with a side window. Slightly reduce the middle Bedroom following the introduction of a corridor. Then you’d need to turn the stair around so the landing is against the party wall side.

IMG_2309.jpeg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

How about a first floor rear extension (shown in red). Turn the rear part of the first floor into a Bedroom with a rear window. Provide a Bathroom shown in green with a side window. Slightly reduce the middle Bedroom following the introduction of a corridor. Then you’d need to turn the stair around so the landing is against the party wall side.

IMG_2309.jpeg

This is another great idea. Thank you. I do wonder if an extension would be more expensive than a loft conversion 

14 hours ago, DevilDamo said:

IMG_2309.jpeg

Good option but on a terrace you would probably then need a daylight survey as it breaches 45 degree rule

15 hours ago, NFA Yomz said:

I think I will start with getting the direction of my stairs changed with a new landing

The downside to flipping the stairs 180° is that, although the dimensions of the dining room (or lounge) remain the same, you loose useful space as you'll have created a virtual corridor through the room, though you may prefer that to a real corridor upstairs. But, of course, you have to make compromises somewhere!