Amazing what you notice when you start looking

Finally got the straw out of the garage and was admiring my handiwork, when something about those joist hangers caught my eye....

garage-zoomed-out.thumb.jpg.69265b1d9f53fbd8d0811c1cd43ccf6d.jpg

garage-zoomed-in.thumb.jpg.af6fdb0360b9cbea06452ede0f087395.jpg

The trusses themselves seem to rest on the brick/blockwork and the plywood is screwed to them, so I assume there's not much load going through these? Seems bizarre though.

If the plywood is screwed to the trusses, then my guess would be someone thought it would be sufficient to provide a storage platform. Then they started to worry about it coming down on anything stored in the garage and so added the two joists and the joist hangers as an afterthought. Any weight on the plywood would likely just pop any screws put into it so the joists just add a little bit of extra help to stop that happening. Only two screws in them though... 🤣

I reckon it sagged.  

They put the thin ply up and chucked stuff on it then panicked when they saw how it drooped between the rafters, hence the micro joists with half fitted hangers, a diddy ‘L’ bracket would have done.

Would have been cheaper to buy a sensible thickness of ply in the first place.  

• Like 1

Well to me the idea of screwing a "floor" to the undersides of the joists is the most ridiculous bit of the whole thing, I will state what should be the obvious, DO NOT stand on that plywood "floor"

I would put a proper floor down from above if you want to crawl up there to use it for storage.

P.S I am counting just 5 roof trusses.  If at 600mm spacing that garage is just 2.4 metres wide.  That is taking the mick calling it a "garage"?  Or are the trusses spaced wider than 600mm?

• Like 2

Hah, yeah, definitely not safe to be on. The garage is a shade under 3M wide and there are 5 trusses, so 700-750mm between them. It was built at the same time as the house, back in 2011 or so.

Even at this size it's pretty useless for putting a car into, so maximising storage makes sense. Just... not like this.