Replacement filters for Sentinel Kinetic Plus

Bitpipe

After a year of operation its time to replace the filters, old ones are starting to get work from the quarterly vacuum cleaning. They have taken some abuse as our intake / extract are 1m above ground level (MVHR is in basement) so dust from surrounding works has got pulled in. However now we have paving, that should no longer be an issue.

BHP, who we got the unit from, seem the cheapest, any other recommendations?

I had a batch of filters made up by Jasun Envirocare.  They will make pretty much any size and type of filter you want and the ones I received look identical to the genuine Genvex ones, but were a fraction of the price.  IIRC, I ordered 5 sets (10 filters) for around the same price as the cost of one set of Genvex filters from the UK supplier.  I just emailed them with the dimensions and spec I needed, from this web site: https://www.jfilters.com/c/PANEL/panel-filters-for-use-in-general-ventilation-and-fan-coil-units-classified-g3-f9-en779-2012

Jasun Envirocare will also make up stainless steel frames and grilles to fit where the card frames go in an MVHR and then sell rolls of filter material that you can cut to size.  When I get around to it I'm going to do this, as you can get washable filter material by the roll pretty cheaply, and that would make a significant cost saving in the longer term.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

I got mine from here last year. Bought enough for 5 changes as they where so cheap!! 

http://www.fairair.eu/en/vent-axia-sentinel-kinetic-plus-b-bh.html

I saw those, was wondering if they were any good!

They just seem to be missing the tabs and the little wire leg at the end, any issues with that?

Gary at BPC will do a pack of 5 pairs for £29 each all in, for the branded ones.

Edited by Bitpipe

3 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Ordered a bunch so will see what they're like.

I see that a bit of dust has made it past the filter onto the paper cell in the centre of the unit - has anyone taken that out for a clean?

Yes but it seemed to compress a bit when putting back in. So helping to make the cross talk gaps bigger. Was pretty clean except for a few flies that had got past filters. 

42 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Yeah I put mine in the bath and gave it a rinse out then used a hairdryer to dry it out. Comes out easy enough. Getting all the bolts back in round the edge is the fun bit.

Agree about the bolts! Why are they so dam long?!

14 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Ordered a bunch so will see what they're like.

I see that a bit of dust has made it past the filter onto the paper cell in the centre of the unit - has anyone taken that out for a clean?

That's interesting, as I took our heat exchanger out for a check this summer, as it had been running for around three years.  It was spotless inside, with no trace of any dust.  I did try blowing an airline at it, to see if there was any dust lodged deeper in than I could see, but nothing came out.

Our fresh air intake filter is a pleated paper G7 one, so pretty fine, but I will admit to having cleaned it, rather than replace it as recommended, a few times; on average I seem to be able to vacuum clean the filter maybe twice before it needs replacement.

Is it possible that dust is getting past the filter, somehow?

Our filters fit into U shaped rails quite tightly, and are slid in from one end when the filter door is opened.  There's a strip of foam neoprene at the far end as a seal, plus the thick neoprene foam lining on the filter access door that acts as the other end seal.

Worth checking that the filter seals are working OK, I think, as cleaning out the heat exchanger seems to be a bit of a pain.  The instructions for ours say to wash it in warm soapy water every few years, but the fins look very delicate and easily damaged.

29 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

That's interesting, as I took our heat exchanger out for a check this summer, as it had been running for around three years.  It was spotless inside, with no trace of any dust.  I did try blowing an airline at it, to see if there was any dust lodged deeper in than I could see, but nothing came out.

Our fresh air intake filter is a pleated paper G7 one, so pretty fine, but I will admit to having cleaned it, rather than replace it as recommended, a few times; on average I seem to be able to vacuum clean the filter maybe twice before it needs replacement.

Is it possible that dust is getting past the filter, somehow?

Our filters fit into U shaped rails quite tightly, and are slid in from one end when the filter door is opened.  There's a strip of foam neoprene at the far end as a seal, plus the thick neoprene foam lining on the filter access door that acts as the other end seal.

Worth checking that the filter seals are working OK, I think, as cleaning out the heat exchanger seems to be a bit of a pain.  The instructions for ours say to wash it in warm soapy water every few years, but the fins look very delicate and easily damaged.

The Sentinel Kinetic has a bit of play on the filter position and I may well not have pushed it back fully home after cleaning (I like to given them a vacuum every month) - may be a bit of a design flaw also.

1 minute ago, Bitpipe said:

The Sentinel Kinetic has a bit of play on the filter position and I may well not have pushed it back fully home after cleaning (I like to given them a vacuum every month) - may be a bit of a design flaw also.

Would some self-adhesive neoprene foam tape help?  I've just used some of this to make a "bug seal" around the hinged wooden lid of our stone treatment plant pump chamber and have been impressed with how well it seals.

Just washed the cell in the bath - it's surprisingly robust and the water was running dirty for the first few mins so obviously needed a clean - it is recommended that it's done annually in the manual.

Used a nylon washing up brush in warm soapy water to gently dislodge any stubborn dirt and gave it a blast with the hair dryer.

Will take a closer look at all the filter seals now as there must be dust getting through.

Also plan to clean the incoming steel duct - my thought is to get a sponge ball (kids football) of the right dimension, feed through a rope and pull it through.

My vents are at ground level (as unit is in basement) so easy to access however more likely to ingest dust. Now that we're landscaped, I'm hoping that will diminish significantly.