Electric shower pump, required?

Post and beam

In the scenario of ASHP and therefore no combi boiler to heat mains pressure water am i going to need a pump to provide decent pressure at the shower head. 

I wonder what will dribble out of the shower from the UVC which are both on the same floor

4 minutes ago, Post and beam said:

I wonder what will dribble out of the shower from the UVC which are both on the same floor

Being on the same level does not affect it. It is not a gravity fed system.

Assuming your mains water comes in greater than 3 bar and there is a decent flow rate (this is the important thing really, the dynamic flow rate), then it should not be a problem.

In reality we all need to use a lot less water, I use way too much at about 170 lt/day.

UVC will provide a shower experience way better than a normal combi boiler. I have had both in the same house. Water gets to the shower quicker from opening the tap, flow rate is higher. If you have a storage combi boiler the experience is similar.

You do not need a pump. An UVC should be delivering water at 3bar.

A vented cylinder will be around 0.5bar depends entirely on height of the overhead tank, that's why they need a pump for a decent shower experience.

Just now, Post and beam said:

Why?

Because it is an undervalued resource that lottery gets flushed down the bog, which then causes problems downstream, literally.

We spend, as a nation,a fortune treating waste water, much of it untreated rain water, so that it can enter rivers and the sea.

When the system fails, usually because of excess rainfall, the consequences are quite extreme.

So rainfall is irrelevant to this conversation. I suggest the issue is actually a failure to build infrastructure to deal with our water use.

I also suggest that more water usage further diluting what it carries with it might actually be a better idea.

I get really ticked off being made to feel guilty about using water when the culprits of its mismanagement both state and commerce happily promote this shift of blame.

1 hour ago, Post and beam said:

So rainfall is irrelevant to this conversation.

Not really, because as you rightly point out, our infrastructure is now out of date.

Eventually there has to be some individual responsibility to help out the rest of society.  It is why we have laws.  If you take an easy, but poor argument, using a motoring analogy, I have never had an accident when travelling over 90 MPH, so why can I not always drive over 90?  Even if I do have a catastrophic accident at high speed, the sum of the energies would still, probably, be less than all the lower speed accidents I have had.  So on balance I would do less overall damage.

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Not really,

Yes it is irrelevant. Because #1 we cannot affect its fall and #2 because the thrust of your original point was personal responsibility. Unless you are either the mythical friendly uncle in the sky or have any influence over him i think rainfall is none of your concern.

Your choice to make a known poor argument speaks volumes. Lets agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, Post and beam said:

the culprits of its mismanagement both state and commerce happily promote this shift of blame

...and it is easy to  blame only them.

It's everybody's responsibility. Some will take it, others will live for the day. Some care for those downsteam, others only themselves.

Does the same apply for recycling? People range in attitude from fly-tippers,  through chucking it all in the bin, to thorough recycling, to not buying disposable packaging.

I say we should all dispose of our water thoughtfully*, whether the law requires it or not.

* which requires education and opportunity. 

2 hours ago, Post and beam said:

further diluting what it carries with it might actually be a better idea

Or might not. Eg the Paris Olympics. The Seine was more dangerous after rain.

• Like 1