Glazing units

JohnBishop

generally 10mm smaller than opening = in both the x & y planes.  That way should the opening be not quite square there should be sufficient leeway to fit the window in with packing where necessary.

• Thanks 1

Agree on the 10mm all round but just to add, if you're ordering off drawing then allow for beam deflection at the top, on larger windows or if you're measuring the as built openings, check the height in the centre, not just at the sides.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JohnBishop said:

Thank you
By the way can you get the measurements of the unit itself without taking the beads off?

I reckon it does not matter if measured from the inside or outside just add 5mm on each side, right?

So you are just talking about the glass not the units?  My answer was based on the size of the opening that the window unit fits in not the the size of the glass within the unit, sorry.

1 hour ago, mjc55 said:

So you are just talking about the glass not the units?  My answer was based on the size of the opening that the window unit fits in not the the size of the glass within the unit, sorry.

I saw a video of a man explaining how to work out the size of the glazing unit and he said to add extra 5mm each side from the beads.

5 minutes ago, JohnBishop said:

I saw a video of a man explaining how to work out the size of the glazing unit and he said to add extra 5mm each side from the beads.

Can you clarify that you are asking about the size of the glass unit within the frame NOT the size of the frame within the opening in the wall?  In other words you are just replacing the glass.

Sorry to be pedantic about this but there is a difference between ordering a new window and replacing the glazing within the frame.

1 hour ago, mjc55 said:

Can you clarify that you are asking about the size of the glass unit within the frame NOT the size of the frame within the opening in the wall?  In other words you are just replacing the glass.

Sorry to be pedantic about this but there is a difference between ordering a new window and replacing the glazing within the frame.

yes, I want to work out the size of the glazing unit not the window.

The reason I ask is because these windows have beads on the outside and I would need to get a ladder:
1. to measure from outside with beads on
2. to measure from outside with beads off

I think the frame inside is the same as the frame outside with beads on, right? so technically 10mm extra for 5mm each side is safe, no?

34 minutes ago, JohnBishop said:

yes, I want to work out the size of the glazing unit not the window.

The reason I ask is because these windows have beads on the outside and I would need to get a ladder:
1. to measure from outside with beads on
2. to measure from outside with beads off

I think the frame inside is the same as the frame outside with beads on, right? so technically 10mm extra for 5mm each side is safe, no?

If measuring from the inside on external beaded upvc windows , you need to add 15mm either side / top and bottom for the correct measurement: ie 30mm overall on the width and height of the DG unit off the internal bead, that's measuring off the plastic, not from the rubber gasket.

Doing this will give you the same measurement if you were measuring from outside and taking 5mm off either side , so 10mm overall 

Ordering formula = Width,Height, Thickness, clear or obscure glass , then if toughened is required or just float .

Edited by stu w
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stu w said:

If measuring from the inside on external beaded upvc windows , you need to add 15mm either side / top and bottom for the correct measurement: ie 30mm overall on the width and height of the DG unit off the internal bead, that's measuring off the plastic, not from the rubber gasket.

Doing this will give you the same measurement if you were measuring from outside and taking 5mm off either side , so 10mm overall 

Ordering formula = Width,Height, Thickness, clear or obscure glass , then if toughened is required or just float .

Awesome thank you. You saved me from moving my scaffold back and forth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnBishop said:

Awesome thank you. You saved me from moving my scaffold back and forth.

No problem,  they may well have security clips on the outside depending on the age of the windows , some deduct a few mm overall to allow a slight tolerance for this .

Personally I have never had an issue. 

• Thanks 1