STAYER BJ102 Biscuit Cutter

Onoff

Asked my chippy mate if I could borrow his biscuit cutter and he said I could HAVE his "second" one (which he was given) as he doesn't really use it. Can't think of the make of his favoured one which I've used before but back then he mentioned me having this one I've now got. For him it's the fact it doesn't have a rack & pinion on the height adjustment . But STAYER, never heard of it and can't find out much about the make, any good?

SAM_2122.JPG

SAM_2123.JPG

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Tiling that is going to be a very interesting challenge. :D If that doesn't make you tiler of the year, I'll pin the medal on you myself. 

Lucky I know a bloke to ask about tiling! ;)

Once in "kit form" the woodwork will all get sanded, glued together and treated, possibly in two contrasting colours to highlight the removable half". A couple of subtle access panels will allow getting to the st/st bolts that'll keep it all together. Should contrast well with the grey floor paint under the bath. Nobody'll ever see it but I'll KNOW it's there.

So tiling.....this'll all get clad in 12mm marine ply. You said else where to stick tiles down with ordinary silicon at 100mm blob / spacing. How thick does that silicon bed end up at? And what then just a flexible grout?

Flexi grout, but make sure it's fine joint and not that horrible cementitious stuff that looks like it's a sand and cement mortar. Yuk. 

Its quite crazy tbh, why flexible tile adhesive is so shit at sticking tiles to ply bath / boxing panels. As a reality check, purely for my own satisfaction, I tiled a bath panel a few years ago and used flexible, rapid set tile adhesive, the same as I'd used on the ply'd floor ( over joist upstairs ). I came in the following morning and looked at the tiles, walked over to the bath, and then booted the middle of the bath panel quite hard. All but the end 2 tiles immediately fell away from the bath and the experiment was deemed a success, by myself, as what I had expected to happen, did. Not a scrap of adhesion to the ply, just marks on the ply where the adhesive had struck it during application and then duly gone off. 

Now, the head scratchy bit. I've had to take up floors before, one particular instance where I had to get to a leaking pipe. I'd laid the floor tiles a few days prior, ceramic, with rapid set flexible adhesive. As I set about trying to save said tiles, by gently lifting at the edges etc to try and pry them up and away from the ply, I realised they were not going to come quietly. In the end, I had to beat the life out of them, breaking every one, and they didn't just stick to the ply, but the ply also came away with the tiles and adhesive, with the screws ( that I fixed the ply down to the floorboards with ) having to give way and pull through the ply. I literally had to tear the floor up and away as the bond was so good. 

I still don't know why this happens, but I'm assuming the flexibility of the ply over a bath panel / similar is just too poor a substrate for the adhesive to work well. Hence, I now only bond tiles to boxing in with silicone. Cheap n cheerful stuff or whatever is in the gun / van and I've not lost a patient yet. 

Aim for about 70% coverage with blobs around the size of a £2 coin, and be careful of the tiles affected by gravity as silicone doesn't provide the instant grab that a good adhesive does. Your angled reveals / panels may see the tile slowly lean forward and fall off before the stuffs gone off, so keep checking as you go. 

As for the trims, mitre glue and activator spray are your #1 friends.