G98 application - is it mandatory?

markharro

We have a 3 phase supply and a 6kw array installed about a year ago. Recently I have applied for an Octopus tariff where they pay me for export. The application is held up atm as I have been told by the DNO that the installer has not yet put in a G98 submissions. I called the installer and spoke to a receptionist who indicated that they don't have to do a G98 and that only the G99 is mandatory; that a G98 is a lot of work and they will see if they have the time to do it?

Is this correct? My understanding was that both G98 and 99 are needed where relevant? 

My understanding is that g98 is 'install and notify',  g99 is 'apply and get permission, then notify of commissioning'

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to notify the DNO yourself of the g98 install.

The form is easily downloadable, a guide is here

https://www.enwl.co.uk/globalassets/get-connected/apply-for-a-new-connection/generation/micro-generation/guide-98_form-b-completion.pdf

You can look up the type test ref for the inverter on the ena website.

I've just done a g99, which is a bit more involved as it needs maps and line drawings.

I would have thought a secretary at an installers could do a g98 notification in a couple of minutes.

PS, They should have submitted it within 28 days of installation, suggest to them you will ask their certifying club to investigate.

Edited by trialuser

7 hours ago, markharro said:

We have a 3 phase supply and a 6kw array installed about a year ago. Recently I have applied for an Octopus tariff where they pay me for export. The application is held up atm as I have been told by the DNO that the installer has not yet put in a G98 submissions. I called the installer and spoke to a receptionist who indicated that they don't have to do a G98 and that only the G99 is mandatory; that a G98 is a lot of work and they will see if they have the time to do it?

Is this correct? My understanding was that both G98 and 99 are needed where relevant? 

The receptionist is wrong....G98 is a mandatory notification. As professional installers they should know that. If your expecting to get export payments then the installer should be MCS registered, know what they are doing and have included for DNO notification. For a professional outfit it should take no more than half an hour to knock up an SLD and submit the commissioning doc. Take it up with the principle of the business to put in place some staff training!

If your solar PV system is small (e.g., a typical residential system up to 3.68 kW), only G98 applies. If it's larger, you'll need to follow the G99 process. You wouldn't need both for the same system, but rather one or the other, depending on your system size, and more importantly, your system’s capacity to export to the grid, usually determined by your inverter output. 

He / She has a 3 phase system, so 16A per phase, 3 x 3.6 on G98. They state a 6kW array (panels), so could possibly be single phase 3.6 kW inverter legitamately over paneled on one phase, or could be a larger 3 ph inverter correctly installed over 3 phases, or a larger single phase inverter 'overloading' one phase, which might explain the installers actions.

Edited by trialuser
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, trialuser said:

He / She has a 3 phase system, so 16A per phase, 3 x 3.6 on G98. They state a 6kW array (panels), so could possibly be single phase 3.6 kW inverter legitamately over paneled on one phase, or could be a larger 3 ph inverter correctly installed over 3 phases, or a larger single phase inverter 'overloading' one phase, which might explain the installers actions.

DNO says they're waiting for a G98??