Expensive Connection Cost Fermanagh Northern Ireland

Hi all,

wonder if I could get a steer on the cost of an electrical connection?

Total newbie here!

Looking to purchase a plot for self build of a Vernacular 4 bed house in the County Fermanagh Countryside.

The PDF shows the route and spec that NEI (Northern Ireland Electric) propose to complete.

The site that it indicates is incorrect, it's actually the site to the immediate SW of the indicated connection site. (I doubt this would make much difference in overall cost)

I have queried it and asked for them to re-draw and re-submit a proposal.

They are quoting £42k for the connection. I was gobsmacked!

Should I be?

There is no huge capacity requirement, no EV Charger, no Heat pumps or anything heavy.

The land owner selling the site has indicated that he will contribute, I'm assuming because once Electric is up there, it's more attractive to sell the other two plots.

Is there a viable, useable "off Grid" option for less cost?

I have a request for more accuracy and a break down of costs but I have no idea if they can or will provide this.

I also stated that I considered it expensive (chancing my arm more than using knowledge! (hence asking here!)), but I have no idea if they will requote cheaper.

Any thoughts, experiences or advice would be extremely welcome.

Kind regards and thanks in anticipation of your valuable input!

Proposal (3).pdf

You will probably find that you having a connection will be of no benefit for the landowner They will base there quote on your requirements Ie One House and won’t simply T off at a later date for him 

I would do a joint application for three plots A third payed by you 

We have two plots and supplying both with power came in at about 60% more than suppling one 

I’d check that you won’t need an EV charger Compulsory for the rest of the UK

55 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

There's no LV (240v) to any of the marked properties/ sites? None along the road to the East?

Looks like going to the middle of the three would save a pole at least

No, the other two sites are just footings like the one I'm looking to buy. There's houses spread out along the road to the south, but nothing near the 3 plots.

13 minutes ago, Vain said:

No, the other two sites are just footings like the one I'm looking to buy. There's houses spread out along the road to the south, but nothing near the 3 plots.

If you're only paying a third it mightn't be so bad...

10 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

If you're only paying a third it mightn't be so bad...

this is where I'm going to go in with the land owner.

Offer a third of the cost in a joint application. Then use that to negotiate the cost of the land.

Thanks for solidifying that in my head! Still not sure if its extortionate or not though! 

1 hour ago, nod said:

You will probably find that you having a connection will be of no benefit for the landowner They will base there quote on your requirements Ie One House and won’t simply T off at a later date for him 

I would do a joint application for three plots A third payed by you 

We have two plots and supplying both with power came in at about 60% more than suppling one 

I’d check that you won’t need an EV charger Compulsory for the rest of the UK

No, Wales, Scotland and NI are exempt, so far, from the compulsory EV point.

34 minutes ago, Vain said:

No, Wales, Scotland and NI are exempt, so far, from the compulsory EV point.

Cars in Fermanagh are mostly turf powered anyway.

• Haha 2

Hi all,

does anyone have any idea on the approximate cost in Northern Ireland of the Contestable element of this quote?

£42k is hefty, but I have no idea how much cheaper (if any) it would be to get a contractor to do the contestable element.

Looking like it may be cost prohibitive unless the land owner stumps up!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Quotation Summary Redact.pdf