Are brick slips dearer? Let's see!

1 hour ago, John Keith said:

Screenshot_20240818_175859_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Fair enough. This seems different to everything else I've absorbed on the topic.

Let us know how you get on - i hope it goes well. For my stone slips I think I'll stick to having what is recommended by Nudura.

• Like 1

On 17/08/2024 at 17:36, FM2015 said:

What finish?  What steel spec?  How many corners?  How many levels?  What performance level?  Access?  Where is it? Define normal build?  Stick or masonry?  

I have never hidden that I work in the industry and know full well that I could give you a meterage rate for a notional ICF build which would bare no relevance to the real world.  

Locally, in the last 6 months, we have had clients quoted £2.30/4" block labour only and £3.  That in itself is higher labour rates than ICF.  Add materials, insulation, cavity details, dpc, windows etc.

The only true comparison is a rate inclusive of labour.

I tell you what, you price up the OP's build in an alternative and I'll get it done in ICF and we'll see.  Proper BoQ style, cards on the table.  I'll plant a tree for every 10% price difference in your favour.  Although I know that I can't plant half a tree.

doesnt matter. M2 is M2. QS has a rate for it and im pretty sure its miles more than blockwork or brickwork for same m2.

But im sure as you have experience of it you have a professional QS you can share ?

5 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

doesnt matter. M2 is M2. QS has a rate for it and im pretty sure its miles more than blockwork or brickwork for same m2.

But im sure as you have experience of it you have a professional QS you can share ?

By that rationale, 100m2 of complicated wall is the same price as 100m2 of simple wall.  With ICF, 100m2 of 150mm core would be different from 100m2 of 200mm core.  Simply not the case.  I've already shown that the labour can be more for just the blockwork than ICF and haven't mentioned the weather.  Factor in the labour of membranes and insulation and you probably have a 50% premium on the labour, minimum.  

I'm not being deliberately obtuse, I'm saying each job is different and we try and stay away from broad brush figures.   With the figures that would we use and the approach that we take, we are broadly competitive and in no way close to double or treble the alternative.  The moot point is quality and performance of the end unit.  ICF converts will point to structural airtightness over membranes, and how so many stages are achieved in one product. 

I think if you have been quoted double prices for ICF, you need to go elsewhere.  If it's what you've heard doing the rounds, it's a falsehood.

6 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

so you dont have a QS ?

So you don't have any evidence of your treble costs?

We have a QS partner but this isn't worth bothering them about.  Essentially you've got to build a wall for less than £100/M2 to compete with the OP's wall.  Can't be done.