Mixing mortar with paddle mixer

dangti6

Last year I started laying some slabs for a path. I don't have a cement mixer so I mixed the mortar bed by hand in a wheel barrow. Due to various time restraints I did this on several occasions when I had a couple of hours spare to lay half a dozen slabs or so.

So far this year my free time has been taken by other jobs more desirable than mixing mortar by hand. I have kept an eye out for a cheap cement mixer and often either beaten to it or left with adverts for mixers that appear to have been dredged from a canal.

I don't want to buy new and hiring isn't really viable as I really don't get the time to throw full days at it in one go.

I was watching a YouTube video recently where a builder used a paddle mixer for a small concrete job and I figured this could be an idea for my situation of small batches.

Naturally I am looking at £30 Chinese paddle mixers and his machine was likely a decent one. So the question is, have any of you guys had experience with mixing mortar with cheap paddle mixers? As an emergency or more frequently. 

The adverts do state they mix concrete and mortar as well as paints etc, but then they would say that.

Realistically if it begrudgingly lasts to do a number of mixes and is junk after, i'll be content. 

61lZ73K0jcL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I would like to hear experience on this too. I have one of these but always thought it is only any good for plaster and jointing compound.

Doesn't the bucket start to spin instead of the mix?

I too am looking for a second hand mixer, but they never seem to be less than 2/3 of the new price.  OR as you say, a right state ('somebody says it was working when they put it away') .

£300 gets a new one that will mix a barrowload, which seems the right size.   set a mix up then toddle off with the barrowful. .

a decent stand is essential too.

Any advice on size and make welcomed.

I have one very like that, and the price was exactly that. The quality is awful, but I expected that for £30! The thread was 'cut' (cast??) so badly that the paddle, when fitted, had about 30-50mm 'slop' at the 'business end (got round that by using the old but higher-quality paddle off my old mixer). The cable-entry 'grommet' is glued only (or un-glued now) - It does not have a groove, so now it's off there is little to stop strain on the elec connections. When it finally dies it will be either that or a burnt-out motor, whichever comes first.

I only bought such a cheap one as I am no longer contracting and thought my use would be very sporadic. If it goes wrong it entirely serves me right for being a skinflint. It *will* mix concrete, but it doesn't like it, and it's a big strain on your back if your back feels strain. 1 jumbo bucket, 2/3 full, fine. 2, you're getting tired and irritated. 3 or more, or a more regular requirement to mix concrete, buy a second-hand Belle. (And yes, the bucket will spin, so you also have to use your ankles to 'pin' the bucket, hence not something to do regularly!

Edited by Redbeard
addn'l info
  • Like 1

I have one of those by Lidl. It's usable, but only just. Even though I added tiny 6mm stones they still tend to stick to the bottom of the bucket. I ended up having to shove the bucket quite a lot to be able to mix everything well enough. It's possible I haven't added enough water - it was just a second time making concrete after mixing in a barrow. 

If you only need to mix mortar, no stones, this may work reasonably well.