Eaves Tray etc

In trying to work out eaves tray and fascia details. Here’s the drawing from my architect but seems to be missing the counter battens. Presumably the eaves tray will need to lay under the counter battens which means it’s the first thing I need to install, even prior to  membrane. Am I right in thinking this?

Also wondering if the fascia backer board should fix directly to rafter ends but in this picture it appears there are battens attached to rafter ends and then the fascia board.

Any thoughts/advice very welcome. 

Thank you

IMG_6102.png

Yes eaves tray goes on first, before roof membrane. Not sure what you mean missing counter battens? The first tile batten is shown on the drawing. No need for the battens behind the fascia, it can be fixed directly to the rafter ends although you need to ensure the the last row of tiles sit correctly, at the same angle as others or kick up slightly.

2 hours ago, Bonner said:

Yes eaves tray goes on first, before roof membrane. Not sure what you mean missing counter battens? The first tile batten is shown on the drawing. No need for the battens behind the fascia, it can be fixed directly to the rafter ends although you need to ensure the the last row of tiles sit correctly, at the same angle as others or kick up slightly.

Thanks for the reply. My understanding is that because it’s osb roof I will need counter battens before battens otherwise if water gets in it’ll be trapped behind battens.

Do I need to use the fascia to lift the first foot of tiles or is there another way?

2 hours ago, Bonner said:

Not sure what you mean missing counter battens?

With OSB underneath you need counterbattens to stop water being trapped behind battens and rotting them as the membrane cannot drape.

9 hours ago, junglejim said:

Thanks for the reply. My understanding is that because it’s osb roof I will need counter battens before battens otherwise if water gets in it’ll be trapped behind battens.

Do I need to use the fascia to lift the first foot of tiles or is there another way?

Correct in that case but I couldn’t see OSB on the drawing. You don’t need to lift the tiles with the fascia but it does need to be fixed at the right height to avoid a large gap and fix the guttering in the right place.

55 minutes ago, Bonner said:

Correct in that case but I couldn’t see OSB on the drawing. You don’t need to lift the tiles with the fascia but it does need to be fixed at the right height to avoid a large gap and fix the guttering in the right place.

Thank you yes I think the issue with the architects drawing is that it’s from prior to timber frame company designing cassette roof. I’m wondering then about the tilt fillet and whether this is necessary… if so when to install? Presumably any tilt of tiles is achieved by battens. Am I missing something? Thanks

A common mistake is missing the fillet or extra batten (or facia) to lift the last tile (because it does not have a tile below it to rest on. ) and the last tow of tiles is at a different angle to the rest.

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

A common mistake is missing the fillet or extra batten (or facia) to lift the last tile (because it does not have a tile below it to rest on. ) and the last tow of tiles is at a different angle to the rest.

Thanks Joe… so am I right in thinking an extra batten rather than tilt filet is ok?

I’m also trying to work out what height to make the fascia board… presumably ideal is height from bottom of rafter to underside of tiles. Is there any reason why I can’t fit this last?

Just now, junglejim said:

Thanks Joe… so am I right in thinking an extra batten rather than tilt filet is ok?

The advantage of a fillet under the bottom batten is extra ventilation (IMO). But a bit more faff 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

The advantage of a fillet under the bottom batten is extra ventilation (IMO). But a bit more faff 🤷‍♂️

Thanks struggling to picture this in osb sheathed roof?

1 minute ago, junglejim said:

I’m also trying to work out what height to make the fascia board… presumably ideal is height from bottom of rafter to underside of tiles. Is there any reason why I can’t fit this last?

Yes, fitting last makes sure it’s tight to the slates BUT I prefer to leave a small gap facia to slates/eaves tray so any condensation running down the membrane can escape .

9 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Yes, fitting last makes sure it’s tight to the slates BUT I prefer to leave a small gap facia to slates/eaves tray so any condensation running down the membrane can escape .

Many thanks… most people I have asked have suggested doing fascia/soffit first but I’m not sure why.

Here’s a drawing that is more similar to what we will need. It looks like the eaves ventilation strip is doing the job of supporting the lower tiles… is that correct?

IMG_6107.png

Yes, sorry but I am used to fitting tiles rather than slates, tiles need lifting more (to represent the thickness of tile below it) but slates are much thinner and have a first row of short slates so don’t need lifting. Yes that diagram is better. 👍😝

19 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Yes, sorry but I am used to fitting tiles rather than slates, tiles need lifting more (to represent the thickness of tile below it) but slates are much thinner and have a first row of short slates so don’t need lifting. Yes that diagram is better. 👍😝

Thanks that’s useful. We’ll be fitting tiles too so that’s good to know. Opening a can of worms here but does that mean we don’t need half tiles on bottom row and can get away with starting with a full tile? Presumably this is ok because they are interlocking?

1 hour ago, dpmiller said:

the bottom row of tiles sit on the vent strip, no batten required?

Thanks. And does the vent strip need to sit ontop of the fascia or can it go slightly back onto a batten? I’d like to get tiles on but still deciding about  fascia so hoping to avoid adding the fascia until later.

2 hours ago, junglejim said:

Thanks. And does the vent strip need to sit ontop of the fascia or can it go slightly back onto a batten? I’d like to get tiles on but still deciding about  fascia so hoping to avoid adding the fascia until later.

Our guys put a treated 6x1 along the rafter ends and some day I'll clad over them...