MCS Install During Renovation

I am in the midst of extension and renovation, part of which we will be replacing the gas boiler with an ASHP and adding UFH throughout the ground floor.

My plan was to get the ASHP installed midway through the build as we may move into the extension whilst the old house is renovated. I’ve started making some enquires with installers as I want to take advantage of the BUS grant.

Octopus won’t look at it until all the structural work is done. Would that be the case for all MCS installers or will some install whilst work is still being done and factor planned improvements in their calculations?

I’m doing the same. Big reno and replacing oil boiler for ASHP. Octopus were useless and couldn’t do anything than put the current EPC into their quoting, which of course, resulted in a grossly oversized ASHP.

in the end I got a few local MCS registered firms round who were more than happy to run the heat loss calcs based on plans. The one I went with even laid the insulated ASHP flow/return before I laid the slab! They’ve yet to come back to install the rest because I’m still not ready 💀

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LiamJones said:

They’ve yet to come back to install the rest because I’m still not ready

Remember there is a time limit from grant approval to commissioning being complete.

4 hours ago, haythorn_1 said:

I am in the midst of extension and renovation, part of which we will be replacing the gas boiler with an ASHP and adding UFH throughout the ground floor.

My plan was to get the ASHP installed midway through the build as we may move into the extension whilst the old house is renovated. I’ve started making some enquires with installers as I want to take advantage of the BUS grant.

Octopus won’t look at it until all the structural work is done. Would that be the case for all MCS installers or will some install whilst work is still being done and factor planned improvements in their calculations?

I would go on to the grant website and read all the rules for yourself and then you know what is correct.

4 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

cheaper to buy the heat pump yourself and have the plumber install it. tank and pump 3-4k. 2 days to fit it, £500.

Would second that. 

I managed to make MCS work for me. I was quoted £3.5k after the grant for valiant arotherm 7kW (£4k) and matching 200l unistor uvc (£1k) , and the extra bits like the duo pipe in the slab (£300), vr71 control (£150), sensocomfort (£200). Oh, and ecology give me £500 cashback for an MCS installed heatpump. Couldnt of done it cheaper myself.

On 01/08/2024 at 08:01, Dave Jones said:

cheaper to buy the heat pump yourself and have the plumber install it. tank and pump 3-4k. 2 days to fit it, £500.

It is an option I will consider, especially as won’t have to ensure it follows mcs guidelines on sizing.

But if I can get someone to install it for less than 4k (with grant) it seems like a no brainer

On 31/07/2024 at 22:07, JohnMo said:

Remember there is a time limit from grant approval to commissioning being complete.

I read the installer has 3 months from approval complete the install. But if it is not complete by then, they can just re-apply and give your consent again.

3 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

forget about the grant for self install. 

think of the grant as a TAX  its adding cost to the install not making it cheaper.

Frustrating how octopus seem to be the only ones that are reasonable and don’t pocket the grant but the house needs to be complete

havent you got a plumber already ?

Ours had never fitted a heat pump before but there is really nothing to it. A flow and return, a cylinder and sparkey runs 2 feeds to it. Hardest part was us setting up the programmer. Took him day and half to plumb it and 2 hours for sparky to wire it.

All the parts are in the plumbers merchant.

10 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

havent you got a plumber already ?

Not yet.

My plan was to do most of the internal bits (pipe work and drainage) myself then get an MCS installer to do the heat pump.

i agree that it doesn’t look hard. Just trying to work out where best to spend my time.

1 hour ago, haythorn_1 said:

My plan was to do most of the internal bits (pipe work and drainage) myself then get

So you pay to do the fiddly expensive stuff. MCS installer comes along runs to pipes from heat pump to your stuff, will say you need to change this that and other, because it's not how he would do it, pockets £7500 and charges you a couple of grand for being there.

If you can run pipe you can install a heat pump. Just keep everything really simple. But it's just as @Dave Jones says.

2 minutes ago, haythorn_1 said:

Which bits would you say this is?

2 hours ago, haythorn_1 said:

most of the internal bits (pipe work and drainage