New shower base slightly uneven

Hi l had a new shower base installed but it was intalled slightly uneven sloping towards the drain, the water drains well and everything is good except its not totally even and is on a slight slope and it gives the feeling of standing on a slope and not a flat surface as the base already has an inbuilt slope,  If you put a spirit level on the outer rim the bubble in the middle between the two lines touches the outer line. Is such a slope normal and acceptable or should l complain about it, Below photos and the spirit level on the outer rim 

20240514_101410.jpg

20240514_102552 - Copy.jpg

20240514_102246.jpg

Edited by jimbo789

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

As long as the screen is in OK and the door works it is fine.

thanks yes the screen and door is good and drainage and everything is good except when l stand in the shower l am standing on a steep slope because the base already has an inbuilt slope, l guess as it was installed with a slope that makes the inbuilt slope even steeper, l am used to flat shower base and now l stand on a steep slope which feels uncomfortable, l l guess theres nothing l can do about it now but get used to it

Edited by jimbo789

The likelihood of it being ripped out and made good with no damage or other new problems is relatively high unfortunately so you could introduce different problems trying to fix this one. Have you paid them? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

yes l paid  , l dont think there would be any chance of getting my money back and getting them to replace it could cause damage l guess. Is installing a base on a slight slope toward drainage accpetable practice. l plan to sell my house in a year, l hope the new shower doesnt affect the value of my house

Edited by jimbo789

The shower will have no impact on the value of your house. They won’t notice it until the new owners have a shower. Even then they might not notice it. 

What I suspect they’ve done is introduce a slope for draining without taking into account the built in slope of the tray itself. On very large trays a slight slope keeps the water from sitting on the bit you stand on to dry yourself. One of our trays is almost 2m wide for example so we installed it with a slight slope as per the instructions. Not noticeable at all. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

thanks,that was my main concern  , that it could affect my house value, yes you are correct you cannot really notice it unless you stand in the shower . when he installed the shower l thought it was great until l stood in it, so buyers inspecting the house probably wont notice it. do some shower bases come with steeper inbuilt slopes then others, my base has a steep inbuilt slope and becuase he installed it on a slope it made it even worse, it feels like standing on a hill . If you look at the spirit level in my photo  the bubble touches the outer line but doesnt go over, so would that be acceptable practice and not something l could make a claim against. 

Edited by jimbo789

Yes there’s a variability in the built in draining depending on the type of shower tray. Typically it would be 1% -2% which is a fall of 14mm - 28mm. Work out what the actual fall is. 

As far as making a ‘claim’ do you mean raising it directly with the builder and hoping he refunds something and eventually going to the smalls claims court if he doesn’t? 

It’s obviously bothering you a lot so calculate the actual fall you have then raise it with the fitter. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

l dont know the actual fall, but if you put the spirit level on the outer  rim the bubble touches the line  but stays within the two lines in the photo above ,but if you put the spirit level inside the base in the  middle of of base the bubble is way outside the line , but l guess thats the design of the base, l guess they will probably say its my fault for not looking at the base before l bought it

Edited by jimbo789

It’s easy enough to calculate. Divide the rise by the run   and multiply by 100 to give you the %. Get a straight edge and place it at the edge of the tray pointing towards the drain. Measure the gap (rise) from the tray to the straight edge at the highest point then measure from here the length of the run back to the start of straight  edge. Multiply the answer by 100 to give you the fall as a % 

Posted (edited)

l think its a 2.7  degree slope inside the base at its steepest level in the middle near the drain and on the outer rim of  the base l think its on a 0.6 degree slope , my guess is the base came with an inbuilt slope of 2 degrees and the installer put it in about half a degree extra making it a 2.7 degree slope

Edited by jimbo789