Marble Worktop - Stains

Hi

We have installed honed marble worktop in our kitchen which we love, it was sealed by the installers around 6 weeks ago. We had oak worktop in our old house so we are very conscious to be careful which marking etc..

Naively we didn't think water marks off the bottom of glasses would leave dull rings that you can see in certain light, I have tried 'method' cleaner that was recommended but didn't touch it at all

Has anyone experienced this before? Has anybody got any proven methods to hopefully clean these marks up?

Many Thanks

So called water rings in marble can actually be etching caused by a chemical reaction and a good marble polishing compound will remove them. I’d contact the supplier and ask them for advice. 

5 hours ago, richo106 said:

We have installed honed marble worktop in our kitchen which we love, it was sealed by the installers around 6 weeks ago.

When you say honed, do you mean a matt finish? We asked for a honed finish on our marble worktops and the supplier talked us out of it. I don't recall their reasoning.

When we decided on polished marble worktops, my wife and agreed with each other that we'd be completely relaxed about stains, marks, and etching etc. The worktops are over 8 years old now and still look pretty good despite the extensive visible signs of use.

Turning to your question, is it condensation dripping down that's leaving a mark, or water that's made it to the outside of the glass after filling it from the tap? If the latter, could it be limescale? And are you 100% sure it's water and not, e.g., juice or wine?

For comparison, we've had zero issues with water marks on ours, and we haven't sealed it since it was first sealed when installed.

Check out the Unika range. Used the spray weekly on our Silestone as a protector and it also got rid of food stains if left for a couple of minutes before wiping. Might work on watermarks. It was expensive but lasted ages.

• 3 weeks later...

ChrisinKent , I am interested in your post as I had Silestone Matt finish fitted 18 months ago and I find in a certain light I see Smokey marks ,I rang Silestone but they couldn’t help any ideas ?