Making opening for new burner

Hi guys 

New to the forum. I’m going to be installing a wood burner. The hole was already there but the previous owners had filled in the gap. I’ve knocked it out to reveal what’s in the pictures. I’m looking for information on what you guys would do. I will be installing a lintel and doing the work myself. I’ll be getting a qualified person in to fit the flue and all those bits. One side of the wall (the one with the gap behind) I can straighten that but the other side will it be ok to knock out the bricks and fit with a lintel?IMG_3907.jpeg.be2d0fa7cf4aa06dee4c48724f8b33f9.jpeg

IMG_3913.jpeg

IMG_3912.jpeg

IMG_3911.jpeg

IMG_3910.jpeg

IMG_3909.jpeg

IMG_3908.jpeg

IMG_3906.jpeg

Hi @Rich2123

Welcome.

When we installed one we chose the type (back boiler or not) and output (how many kW of heat) to start with and then checked the installation instruction on how big the hole and hearth needed to be, ensuring the lintel stretched across the gap (about 30mm wider than stated to allow for sand and cement plaster.)

Then we propped above the top of the lintel height using an Acrow and a "strong boy" and cut the hole for the lintel and installed it before cutting the sides.

Others will have their preferred methods...

Good luck 

Marving

Hey. 

The guy who lived over the road gave me some advice when he did his. He was in the building trade. Like I said in the first post it’s the right hand side that I want to be safe and not have bricks falling down 

Rich

32 minutes ago, joe90 said:

So are you putting in a new lintel.? Is the new opening where the cuts are.?

I’ll be putting a new lintel in which is wider than the original. The one that’s in slopes up at the back. I’ll be making the gap a little bit wider for the regs 

• Like 1

Well you could use a strong boy to support the bricks above the old lintel but only a triangle of bricks would fall in the worst case if you didn’t support it. It looks like cement render under the plaster which might well hold the bricks in place till you get the new lintel in. I have done similar in the past without support but it’s a gamble. (I am not risk averse).

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Well you could use a strong boy to support the bricks above the old lintel but only a triangle of bricks would fall in the worst case if you didn’t support it. It looks like cement render under the plaster which might well hold the bricks in place till you get the new lintel in. I have done similar in the past without support but it’s a gamble. (I am not risk averse).

I was going to screw in a temporary beam above and fill in the holes later. Would removing any of the bricks down the right hand side be an issue? (The side without the pipes)

IMG_3913.jpeg

Edited by Rich2123

11 minutes ago, Rich2123 said:

was going to screw in a temporary beam above and fill in the holes later.

Yes that could work.

12 minutes ago, Rich2123 said:

Would removing any of the bricks down the right hand side be an issue? (

No, plenty of bricks left to the right to support what’s above it. 👍 behind the front bricks/lintel you may need to corbel the bricks to support what’s above them.

7 hours ago, joe90 said:

Yes that could work.

No, plenty of bricks left to the right to support what’s above it. 👍 behind the front bricks/lintel you may need to corbel the bricks to support what’s above them.

Do you mean the way the bricks are taken out/left in or build a new support?

I'd get a stove installer in now for a chat. New rules require an air intake pipe from outside to a nozzle on the stove, and you will need a route for that.

Do you know if there is a fireplace on the other side of that wall? Assuming it is a party wall.

7 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I'd get a stove installer in now for a chat. New rules require an air intake pipe from outside to a nozzle on the stove, and you will need a route for that.

Do you know if there is a fireplace on the other side of that wall? Assuming it is a party wall.

It’s my kitchen on the other side of that wall.