Advice on valley lead work

Hi, first time doing a roof and lead work.

I’ve got a valley to work out, from where the hip meets a dormer.

I’ve struggled to find any details online so have opted just to get a bit of lead up here and have a play. 

Am I on the right tracks here, before I bash it about anymore?

Im considering cutting the fascia on the pencil mark, such that I can run that row of tiles under the fascia/soffit

IMG_9922.jpeg

IMG_9923.jpeg

IMG_9924.jpeg

your on the right track, your dry valley is not in the right placer though. You need to centre it (its too far left) and also extend it down as far as you can then cut it to match the profile. 

Also its the wrong type of dry valley , you want the one with a 60mm upstand in the middle so when you cut the pantiles they sit tight against it, the one you have gives them no support so they will just drop. its actually for hidden gutter where 2 flat roofs meet and the tile type changes from clay to pan etc.

https://www.dryvergeandrooflinedirect.co.uk/products/3-meter-grp-dry-valley-over-batten

image.thumb.png.3f0c1b9562a23b77428b7e370b594ca1.png

Edited by Dave Jones

You also need a bigger piece of lead, so that the fascia board is protected where it meets the tiles.

01.png.aff0b1ef74a7789103a556072a09b9f5.png

You may be able to place the lead under the tile as a soaker, if the pre-formed valley projects further.

Edited by Mike
  • Like 1

Thanks so much @Dave Jones @Mike. Thoughts on the dry valley closures top and bottom?

presumably with counter batten, the valley would sit ontop 2 battens? As opposed to sitting on 1 batten for a normally battened roof.

the valley is centered to the valley, I think the lead work in the photo is making it look like the center is off to the right, due to how the lead is formed over the tile

the proper valley has a groove either side where the vertical battens go to hold it into place. Here is an example of a flashed dormer up the road which is similar, the lead at bottom could be dressed a little tighter depending on personal preference but you get the idea.

image.png.89aba1a6ac776a727be94c6dc8a053b8.png

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the valleys with the ones you suggested @Dave Jones. Just waiting for the bottom closures to arrive and will have a play flashing the bottom of the valley. Probably with some lead too. 

just had another look at the photo above. I was going to install a gutter to the dormer, but I’m tempted not to bother now! 

IMG_9968.jpeg

Thoughts on how to finish this? Cut the rubber closure level, then underlay lead that laps the fascia?

id like to have gotten the closure tight to the fascia, but there’s not enough material or flex. 

IMG_9985.thumb.jpeg.fd0f98a1a822ecc852a4174246e52d30.jpeg

try and glue the rubber to the fasica so its flat. dress/cut the bottom of it so its parallel to the fascia.

Also may be worth putting another 1 or even 2 battens on the hip, the hips stand very high on the pantiles.

lookiing good.

image.thumb.png.2b87f0c3222f696278ba32772a542276.png