Barn conversion vs demo...

I've read a lot about the pitfalls of demolition when working on a "conversion" so want to try and stay as inside the lines if possible. However, I'm struggling to find sufficient details to understand the details of what is and isn't acceptable. Here are my specifics if anyone has any information or resources you can signpost me to:

• Stone barn in Wales
  • Full planning permission for conversion to residential (from 20 years ago - confirmed as in perpetuity because of sewage works started)
  • Rural, but not AONB or heritage
  • Likely substantial foundations work needed
  • Substantial repairs required to external walls
  • New roof structure needed (some recoverable slate)
  • One neighbour who is 200m+ away, plus another agricultural barn a similar distance
  • The building is pretty small, so optimising space is key

Ideally, a demolish and rebuild (same aesthetic and footprint, but modern construction, insulation etc) would be better performance, space efficient and cost effective, but I'm conscious that doing so can be problematic and risk the planning.

So, what is the best course of action? Is it fine if I rebuild one or two footings and walls at a time but never fully demolish, or is that a no-go? As it's full planning, non-AONB and no immediate neighbours is it less of a concern? Would a new, updated planning application for demo and rebuild likely be relatively easy or incur full blown new regs and rigour? Or should I just not risk it and just underpin and make good the existing structure and deal with the reduced space?

I'm sure "it depends" but any opinions, experience and advice appreciated!

33 minutes ago, HeyDanThomas said:

I've read a lot about the pitfalls of demolition when working on a "conversion" so want to try and stay as inside the lines if possible. However, I'm struggling to find sufficient details to understand the details of what is and isn't acceptable. Here are my specifics if anyone has any information or resources you can signpost me to:

• Stone barn in Wales
  • Full planning permission for conversion to residential (from 20 years ago - confirmed as in perpetuity because of sewage works started)
  • Rural, but not AONB or heritage
  • Likely substantial foundations work needed
  • Substantial repairs required to external walls
  • New roof structure needed (some recoverable slate)
  • One neighbour who is 200m+ away, plus another agricultural barn a similar distance
  • The building is pretty small, so optimising space is key

Ideally, a demolish and rebuild (same aesthetic and footprint, but modern construction, insulation etc) would be better performance, space efficient and cost effective, but I'm conscious that doing so can be problematic and risk the planning.

So, what is the best course of action? Is it fine if I rebuild one or two footings and walls at a time but never fully demolish, or is that a no-go? As it's full planning, non-AONB and no immediate neighbours is it less of a concern? Would a new, updated planning application for demo and rebuild likely be relatively easy or incur full blown new regs and rigour? Or should I just not risk it and just underpin and make good the existing structure and deal with the reduced space?

I'm sure "it depends" but any opinions, experience and advice appreciated!

i was in same postion and I could have demolished --If i proved it was uneconomic  to rebuild it 

you could try that angle -but maybe its down to local planning  if they allow that 

so many differences from one planning area to another 

real minefield

• Like 1

Your existing planning is not "at risk" if you make another planning application. You can make as many as you want.

That you have planning already in perpetuity means applying for more is a no risk option.

Anything new will incur all current regs.

• Like 1

I know someone who did a barn conversion as you are describing, knocking and replacing bits so that it never came down all at once, which would have invalidated the planning permission as it was. A bit like Trigger’s broom. 

Edited by Jilly
  • Like 1

Thanks all, lots to think about. I'm slightly hesitant to go for a new application because of the time, cost and extra regs but it might also allow us to make some tweaks we're keen on at the same time. We had also considered the "triggers broom" approach also, but I'd love to see some more certainty that is a viable and assured approach (though I guess in this game, nothing is for certain until you do or don't get a knock at the door)...