Online VAT reclaim paid today - timescale FYI

Received VAT reclaim in my bank account today & as the online process is relatively new (it may be mandatory now?) I thought that the timescale might be helpful for others who are about to go through this.

29 May - submitted claim.  I had been keeping track of all my invoices on a spreadsheet so it was an easy procedure to upload these to HMRC in the format requested, along with the various supporting docs.  Received email response from HMRC with a claim ref number.

11 June - email from HMRC confirming my claim is valid & requesting copies of 10 specific invoices (my claim had 117 invoices) which I scanned & uploaded.  The 10 invoices were all relatively high amounts but I'm unsure whether they were picked randomly or specifically.

13 June - email from HMRC confirming receipt of 'additional info' i.e. the 10 invoices & stating they aim to process payment within 3 weeks.

10 July - payment received.  The amount paid is approx £300 less than I claimed which I assume is due either to claiming for invalid items or miscalculation of VAT on my part (the latter possibly happened where invoices included both reclaimable & non-claimable items).  In due course I expect to receive an explanation of the underpayment from HMRC & will update this post then.

All in all, I found the reclaim process straightforward & I should think the online process is a great improvement on the previous paper/postal one.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, shuff27 said:

Received VAT reclaim in my bank account today & as the online process is relatively new (it may be mandatory now?) I thought that the timescale might be helpful for others who are about to go through this.

29 May - submitted claim.  I had been keeping track of all my invoices on a spreadsheet so it was an easy procedure to upload these to HMRC in the format requested, along with the various supporting docs.  Received email response from HMRC with a claim ref number.

11 June - email from HMRC confirming my claim is valid & requesting copies of 10 specific invoices (my claim had 117 invoices) which I scanned & uploaded.  The 10 invoices were all relatively high amounts but I'm unsure whether they were picked randomly or specifically.

13 June - email from HMRC confirming receipt of 'additional info' i.e. the 10 invoices & stating they aim to process payment within 3 weeks.

10 July - payment received.  The amount paid is approx £300 less than I claimed which I assume is due either to claiming for invalid items or miscalculation of VAT on my part (the latter possibly happened where invoices included both reclaimable & non-claimable items).  In due course I expect to receive an explanation of the underpayment from HMRC & will update this post then.

All in all, I found the reclaim process straightforward & I should think the online process is a great improvement on the previous paper/postal one.

👏 

Wow, that's amazing. It wasn't that long ago that 6+ months was the norm!

I understand that they're now not checking every receipt in every claim, but will instead use sampling. I assume they'll also do a basic check like comparing the size of the house with the size of the claim.

Touch wood, but the issue with VAT claims being refused due to HMRC choosing an arbitrary completion date also seems to have faded away. I don't check this form all that often, but I can't remember the last time we had a post on the topic, which is great news.