Building Regs drawings

Hi there. We are supposed to be getting out BR drawing completed through our TF company and they are asking for the CAD files from our architect. The architect says there will be a 2k fee for releasing these which then makes the whole drawing package fairly expensive (but still not as expensive as staying with the architect!!). 
I have been in contact with an online company who would not require CAD files but I’m just not sure I’m comfortable with using a company like this. 

does anyone have any suggestions of architectural technicians we could approach to explore doing our drawings for us? Obviously, location in the UK doesn’t matter. 

also if anyone knows how common it is to need CAD files when using a different provider to do drawings, that would be useful. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Bournbrook said:

TF company and they are asking for the CAD files from our architect

Do you have pdf drawings? These can sometimes be reversed back to cad, or they should be able scan in pdf to the cad package I believe.

If not ask the timber frame the cost to reproduce themselves? Shouldn't be that much, as the architect drawings will be missing loads of detail, they would have to add in and correct a lot of details anyway.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, agree. Receiving the cad files might be quicker for them as it allows them to read off detailed dimensions easily, but they'll have to reproduce and expand a lot of the detail so it won't same them that much time.

They can read in the pdf or an image file, scale using a known dimension (or the scale bar which should be on the drawing anyway) and then take off any dimensions they need. Maybe an hour per drawing depending on how detailed it is and then 15 mins to re-create in their own CAD package.

CAD files don't always convert 100% accurately anyway, there's often information lost along the way.

• Thanks 1