Cracks to brickwork

Hello all, 

We are half way through buying a semi detached house (I think it’s from the '80s) and wondering if the cracks I can see are anything serious and I should be concerned. 

The main crack starts from the top right corner of patio door and then runs on the side wall towards the first floor landing window. 

There is another issue I can see at low level brickwork where bricks depths are different. This is also in the back wall (corner, next to patio door) 

There are no cracks inside the house or anything that would look like the seller tried to hide things (walls are not recently painted etc). 

I got in touch with two surveyors and was told that they will highlight the issue and only list possible reasons (will not be able to confirm in 100%). So not sure if worth getting a SE.

I also received couple of sample level 2 and 3 reports from them and the notes in the reports related to similar cracks are to ‘repoint it and keep an eye on it’. I’m not an expert but it sounds vague. 

As I have zero understanding about it, I would really appreciate any help. 

Thank you 

J

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

put a spirit level on it.

Haqrd to tell from the photo but the patio door doesnt look to have a lintle.

Appears the corner is pushed out/sinking though. Definitely get it inspected by someone with an insurance policy you can claim on.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

put a spirit level on it.

Haqrd to tell from the photo but the patio door doesnt look to have a lintle.

Appears the corner is pushed out/sinking though. Definitely get it inspected by someone with an insurance policy you can claim on.

thanks Dave.

There is definitely a level difference to brickwork. I think upper brickwork is approx. 5mm out in the worst areas.

I imagine subsidence in the walls corner would cause more cracks elsewhere at low level at least, but there are no more cracks visible anywhere else. 

You may be right re missing lintel as I can't see it. Wouldn't the brickwork crack above the door is lintel was missing? Below long shot photo shows all brickwork seem to look straight throughout the back wall. I noted pointing was possibly changed as neighbour's is different. Wall corner is facing West so I presume the greenish colour change will be related to rain. 

Who would you get to inspect this? I showed the photos to two surveyors and asked if this would be precisely diagnosed in level 3 survey but was told they would only be able to guesstimate. 

IMG_7867.jpg

Edited by Jayr

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

something like these guys

https://www.geobear.co.uk/subsidence-surveys/

Thanks Dave. Just going through and it sounds like it would require a proper investigation, drilling etc works. Don’t think the seller will agree to this. 

I asked the agent to check with the seller and they tell me all windows and patio door were replaced in approx. 2003 by previous owner. They are unsure if patio door was initially a single door and then changed to these double, sliding doors. Seller also says she hasn’t noticed any cracks however, hasn’t lived there for around 5 years. Sounds like this was a rental property. 

moisture meter in the corner shows 15% (low as per the table at the back of the meter) 

Edited by Jayr

Ehhh brickwork cracks. 

I'd suspect leaking or broken drains being the most probable cause. Check them, repoint, maybe crack stitching and crack monitoring should be enough. You'll never be able to eliminate the worse case causes from visual inspection alone but they are unlikely.

34 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

would need to be very cheap with the risk i think.

sorry, I didn't get that

8 minutes ago, George said:

Ehhh brickwork cracks. 

I'd suspect leaking or broken drains being the most probable cause. Check them, repoint, maybe crack stitching and crack monitoring should be enough. You'll never be able to eliminate the worse case causes from visual inspection alone but they are unlikely.

thanks George.

Drains inside seem fine. I'm guessing the main one is outside in that corner (main stack terminates in this corner). Perhaps not 100% clear. But again, no smells etc that would indicate any obvious issues.

3 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

purchase price

oh got it now. 

No, the price seems to be slightly above what these go for here. 

I agreed to this because the house is in very good condition overall and has some extra features, garage etc.