Advice Regarding Materials & Amounts Needed

Hi,

I am looking at the materials required for building a sound studio (effectively a room within a room with insulation between the walls etc)

It's 4.8m x 3.6m x 3m

Looking at plasterboard and chipboard against studs with Rockwool insulation.

I am struggling to work out the amounts needed, any assistance would be greatly appreciated or if I can be pointed in the right direction.

Thank You

7.1.4 Studio Plan.png

Hi @BGoldey

It obvious that you have put a lot of thought into the technical design of the room!

However I'm not sure where the plasterboard and chipboard against studs with Rockwool insulation is expected to go.

Are the blue walls existing?

Are the red walls proposed?

Is the space between the blue walls and the red walls empty or is that where the rockwool is to go?

a bit more information would help.

Good luck

Marvin

Hi,

The whole room is being built within an empty space. There are no existing walls at present.

Between the red and blue walls is where the insulation would go yes.

It is a brand new structure being built, the only items currently in situ are the flooring (Concrete on steel) and the ceiling.

Many Thanks

22 minutes ago, BGoldey said:

Hi,

The whole room is being built within an empty space. There are no existing walls at present.

Between the red and blue walls is where the insulation would go yes.

It is a brand new structure being built, the only items currently in situ are the flooring (Concrete on steel) and the ceiling.

Many Thanks

What is the cavity going to be in the external wall, whatever it is full fill it with mineral/glass wool, though note that building regs may need to be considered for thermal and peneratating rain. You may need to go up a cavity size for thermal performance.

What is the roof / ceiling buildup as the sound insulation of this will need to be considered.

I presume that you have looked at sizing of the room and potential room modes?

You rear absorption / diffusion isn't going to act as a very good bass trap as it looks only 100mm thick, maybe set up a corner bass taps in the corners behind both of the rear speakers (both so that the path difference of each speaker is equal).

Are the Rw 46 dB door sets individual or Rw 46 dB both together? It looks like there are vision panels in them, so i presume they will a specilist studio door set, with price tag.

For reference lorient have test data for Rw 44 dB doorsets without vision panels, with pretty standard (cheap) threshold and jamb seals

https://www.lorientuk.com/acousticsearch/results

103.pdf

Edit: what is going in the green areas, these could serve as a base trap.

Edited by Moonshine

It looks the room size (assuming a 2.4m ceiling) meet the criteria of Walker (BS 1116) and Cox (Room Sizing and Optimization at Low Frequencies), so i presume that you have put some thought into it 😀

Room model density looks good (0 is all modes, 1 is axial, 2 is Tangential, 3 is Oblique), though you will need to watch out for the 38 Hz and 51 Hz modes and make sure they are nicely controlled.

roommodes.jpg.a0826bc90e0970fe49a3b1f33682cf27.jpg

Edit: just seen its 3m high, thats not great, doesn't meet the criteria of Walker (BS 1116) but does for cox. You get more low freq modes, and bunching around 75 Hz, you may want to think about reducing its height

image.thumb.png.4a6d3bc99c86cdb62fcfd7209777e7b6.png

Edited by Moonshine

Drop to 2.4m high and you'll need 14 sheets of OSB and 20 sheets of plasterboard. Roughly.

Just setup a spreadsheet with room dimensions and it's easy to workout what you need. Just remember for sheet materials to include openings, and everything to at 10% wastage.

• Like 1