Request for Help: Cracks in external first floor elevation of victorian house

Hello,

We're looking to put an offer on a house but there are cracks in the front elevation of the first floor and honestly I can't work out if tis a problem or not. If we proceed we know we need to get a structural engineer in, but before potentially wasting the sellers time with an offer that we may then retract, we're trying to just educate ourselves a little first. Is this crack a sign of a serious issue, or typical for a property of this age? Any insight appreciated.

James

IMG_2188.jpeg

That appears to be bay windows which are prone to cracking away from the main walls but extends top left into the main wall, someone has pointed a bit of the crack and not sure how much further it extends. You really need to get it seen by a structural engineer IMO.

Hello,

Thank you for the replies. The scaffolding is up because of a separate water ingress on that wall apparently. From what I can see of the gable wall it looks ok although it is covered in paint. Google street view suggests these cracks were not there in 2020. 

Have a look at other houses in the street to see if they've suffered any settlement perhaps. Historic settlement would have happened in the first few years I imagine.  Is the water ingress linked maybe?  Leaking gutters or downpipes affecting the foundations?  That would explain more recent movement.  Definitely a professional opinion required.