Moved into a new flat with MVHR

Hi everyone!

I moved a few weeks ago and the new flat is a 5 year old eco build with a communal biomass boiler/local heat exchanger and an MVHR system.

For the most part, the biomass system is fine (aside from a couple of niggles that I've asked the letting agent to look into, maybe I'll ask more on here about those later as well). The MVHR system is driving me a bit barmy though as it's been running on 'boost' continuously since I moved in, even at night, which makes a load of noise as it's just across from the bedroom door.

The unit is (I think) a Vent-Axia Sentinel Kinetic B. I've tried turning off the boost with the button on the front, but it gives an error code of LS, which supposedly means it's live switched to something, like a light switch (eg bathroom) or temperature or humidity sensor? It's definitely not linked to lights as it's still going when I wake up and everything has been off overnight. I've tried restarting it and ti does seem to suggest that there's a humidity sensor attached, but I have no idea where this would be. Would it be internal to the unit? And why wouldn't this have dropped over three weeks? I don't air washing inside or anything else that would cause excess humidity, and it was also doing it as soon as I moved in and there hadn't been anybody in the property for a week.

Also, the unit displays "Check Filter" on the front. I checked the filters and gave them a bit of a clean but they were pretty much fine. It looks like this is just a recurring reminder message, but you're supposed to be able to clear it by holding ^ and v for 5 seconds- this doesn't do anything for me...

Thanks to anyone that can help!

K

6 minutes ago, KaraB said:

does seem to suggest that there's a humidity sensor attached

When you look at the digital screen is there a small logo/squiggle shape  right hand corner?

If there is, this is indicating humidity sensor is activated (boost).

You can raise the humidity level say from 60 to 80...works for me ?

David

• Thanks 1

I can't see anything like that. The main display just cycles through "Boost Airflow" and "Check Filter" with "100%" on the second line. If I press down to scroll through the options I just get "Set Clock", "Summer Mode" and "Indoor Temp"; no options to change humidity threshold that I can see!

Only symbol I get in the corner is the little "ls" when I press the boost button.

K

@KaraB  If you press the set button immediately followed by the up and down arrow buttons and continue holding all three for 5 seconds it should give you access to the commissioning menu, which let's you set low, normal and boost ventilation rates, timers, as well as the humidity control and filter reminder.

Edited by Stones
  • Thanks 1

Amazing, thank you! I've noted down what was on there already and changed the settings back to default and it's quietened right down. It's still on boost, but at 50% now instead of 100% which is only alightly audible through the door. The whole flat feels weird and kind of creepy now, so used to that loud hum in the background!

I disabled the humidity sensor entirely in that menu, so I'm not sure why it's still boosting, maybe it's linked to something else... There is a mystery switch with an indicator light next to the switch for the main unit, but I have no idea what it does, it seems to make no different to anything on the unit or elsewhere in the flat!

Also still won't let me reset the filter message but that's not really something I'm going to lose sleep over, I suspect that's something that only works in normal operation.

K

Edited by KaraB

when you have 5min,  google... vent axia sentinel kinetic plus b manual...download PDF

Could help solve the issue's....

The humidity sensor is handy especially when showering, automatically cuts in and out clearing moisture.... Mind you if stuck on 50% boost no need O.o

Anyway welcome to buildhub :)

I did read through the operation manual (I had a hard copy in the paperwork) but there's nothing in there about the commissioning settings mentioned, looks like there's a separate install and commissioning manual that I didn't have! I'll have a read through that. Might have to take the front off and try to trace the wire back from the LS terminal...

I'm still not sure where the humidity sensor even is, I would have expected there to be one in the bathroom but nothing in sight. I'll switch the sensor back on soon enough, just trying to eliminate variables for the boost sticking. I think it might be something other than the humidity that's triggering it as I still get 'ls' rather than the alpha.

And thank you! Less than an hour here and already much better off than I started. xD

K

12 minutes ago, KaraB said:

I did read through the operation manual (I had a hard copy in the paperwork) but there's nothing in there about the commissioning settings mentioned, looks like there's a separate install and commissioning manual that I didn't have! I'll have a read through that. Might have to take the front off and try to trace the wire back from the LS terminal...

I'm still not sure where the humidity sensor even is, I would have expected there to be one in the bathroom but nothing in sight. I'll switch the sensor back on soon enough, just trying to eliminate variables for the boost sticking. I think it might be something other than the humidity that's triggering it as I still get 'ls' rather than the alpha.

And thank you! Less than an hour here and already much better off than I started. xD

K

ISTM that logically a *single* humidity sensor would need to be somewhere credible for adjusting the whole system, which might be say in the inlet or outlet.

A sensor in the bathroom would risk throwing all the rest out of whack while the bathroom was being humidity-reduced.

But - and a big but - I do not have MVHR in my house, so I could just be wibbling.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

ISTM that logically a *single* humidity sensor would need to be somewhere credible for adjusting the whole system, which might be say in the inlet or outlet.

A sensor in the bathroom would risk throwing all the rest out of whack while the bathroom was being humidity-reduced.

But - and a big but - I do not have MVHR in my house, so I could just be wibbling.

F

I wibble quite often... Says the wife 9_9

The humidity sensor is built into the unit,  probably on the outlet side.

Woks very  efficiently, dries towls/washing quite quickly,  now I'm living with one of these,  wouldn't be without it... Helps with dust allergies  too ;)

• Like 1

That does make sense! I've had another look in the commissioning settings, there's a main humidity sensor setting and also proportional settings; I've tried setting both off and to high values and no luck, so it looks to be related to something other than humidity.

Doesn't look like I'll be able to take a look how the LS is wired up as someone has installed a whacking great junction box next to the unit so I can't get to the screws to take the front off... Might just be something I have to wait for the letting agent or landlord to get round to sorting, but at least it's a lot better now.

Thanks for your help everyone!

K

My guess is there is a boost switch wired in somewhere but rather unhelpfully they have not labelled it. Search doe a switch somewhere, possibly lookinh like a light switch that appears to do nothing (i.e. not turn a light on or off) and try that.

Or ask the landlord to show you where the boost switch is.

• 5 years later...