Spare UFH pipe for garden water distribution

cbk

Hi,

I’ve ended up with 3 part coils of UFH pipe and wondered if I could use it instead of MDPE pipe to distribute rainwater from my harvesting tank around the garden.  

If I recall corrrectly, UFCH pipe generally needs to be protected from UV light, so I wouldn't expect it to last long in a garden. Unless, perhaps, you plan to bury it.

19 minutes ago, cbk said:

Hi,

I’ve ended up with 3 part coils of UFH pipe and wondered if I could use it instead of MDPE pipe to distribute rainwater from my harvesting tank around the garden.  

Really depends on spec PEX based UFH pipe isn't UV stable, however pert-al-pert is. So just depends on the pipe you've used. If it's underground it should be ok, not so sure how frost tolerant it is however.

I was planning to bury so UV may not be an issue, but not very deep so frost might be an issue.  Also not sure which type I have as was left behind by plumbers.  Is there an easy way to tell PEX from pert-al-pert pipe?  Also can you get pipe fittings to join to MDPE for above ground sections with taps etc,