Planning all approved on recent plot purchase. Worth trying for something more contemporary?

The plot we have just purchased comes with full PP and all that is left to do is a few minor amendments and for the Architect to do the drawings for building regs.  So from that perspective, we have already saved a large amount of time / money.  However, we are not overly sold on the design and feel that it is basically what the seller of the plot wanted to build (very similar to their property).  The property sits in an AONB, but it is is quite a distance from the neighbouring property and we are trying to deduce whether the planners may be open to a two storey flat roof uber contemporary dwelling or whether it's wood cladding / clay tile roof and a dwelling that is in keeping with the surroundings.

Not sure how to proceed, or whom to approach.  We don't have thousands to throw at a new planning application if the planners won't go for it, but then again, we don't want to build what has been granted, only to then think "Could we have got a more contemporary design approved"

I was contemplating arranging a meeting on site with the Duty Planning Officer, but was concerned that when they speak with a layman, the might say "forget it, you won't get that", but if it was an Architect / Planning Consultant, they might know that they cannot pull the wool over their eyes so easily.

image.thumb.png.8550f91a29838b19ba575284e89bc2f8.png

Edited by flanagaj

I would speak to a planning consultant that’s got a good history of applications with your local council. They will probably know the planners and might even know the planner that made the determination for the current application - it’s likely they would be assigned if you went in for another application. The consultant would have a good view of what the planner might say. Design can often be very subjective so can come down to the planner assigned.

Also - read the current report from the planning officer and see what weight they gave to the design elements - if they called out how it was suitable as a traditional design for example it might give some insight into how much weight they gave it. 

I would recommend you definitely pursue the design you want; in the context of what you’ll spend on the build it would be money worth spent - especially if it’s not a design you’re particularly happy with. 

Edited by SBMS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SBMS said:

I would speak to a planning consultant that’s got a good history of applications with your local council. They will probably know the planners and might even know the planner that made the determination for the current application - it’s likely they would be assigned if you went in for another application. The consultant would have a good view of what the planner might say. Design can often be very subjective so can come down to the planner assigned.

Also - read the current report from the planning officer and see what weight they gave to the design elements - if they called out how it was suitable as a traditional design for example it might give some insight into how much weight they gave it. 

I would recommend you definitely pursue the design you want; in the context of what you’ll spend on the build it would be money worth spent - especially if it’s not a design you’re particularly happy with. 

Thanks.  So consult with a planning consultant, before engaging with an Architectural Practice.

23 minutes ago, flanagaj said:

Thanks.  So consult with a planning consultant, before engaging with an Architectural Practice.

Absolutely. Fairly unlikely your architect has the same deep knowledge of local planning, planners themselves, cases they can reference etc that a planning consultant has. I would speak to a consultant and briefly give them your idea of what you want and if it looks like a go-er engage an architect to draw up your design, perhaps prepare the design and access but get the planning consultant to submit your application along with the planning statement. They’ll do things like find and reference similar applications that were passed recently, cite proper

planning policy in detail and - at the end of the day present your application as serious and professional. Planners won’t want to risk rejecting an application if it’s policy compliant in the event you appeal (and win). Most councils are nearing broke and expensive appeals costs are a priority concern for councillors that sit on planning committees. Good luck!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SBMS said:

Absolutely. Fairly unlikely your architect has the same deep knowledge of local planning, planners themselves, cases they can reference etc that a planning consultant has. I would speak to a consultant and briefly give them your idea of what you want and if it looks like a go-er engage an architect to draw up your design, perhaps prepare the design and access but get the planning consultant to submit your application along with the planning statement. They’ll do things like find and reference similar applications that were passed recently, cite proper

planning policy in detail and - at the end of the day present your application as serious and professional. Planners won’t want to risk rejecting an application if it’s policy compliant in the event you appeal (and win). Most councils are nearing broke and expensive appeals costs are a priority concern for councillors that sit on planning committees. Good luck!

Thanks very much.  You’ve given some very useful information there and most likely saved me wasting money by immediately engaging with an Architect.