Large tree stumps where house will be on the plot- foundation help

Jane W

7 hours ago, Jane W said:

felled in 2018.

I would say that is long enough for the ground to recover.   so we don't consider it.

7 hours ago, Jane W said:

tree species, am I correct in thinking that this doesn't have any effect or bearing once a tree has been felled?

A big thirsty tree in clay may need a few years for the ground to recover. A small or less thirsty tree less so. But 6 years should be enough for anything....not that I've seen any studies of this. I have built near disappeared trees after  a year and not had problems, but that really depends on having a  proper winter with drizzle over a long period so that the ground gets properly wet and expands to its original form..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jane W said:

No we don't.  The hopeful drawing allows 50mm in from the boundary which I think may be the minimum, but please let me know if this is incorrect. It is a parish council car park on that side of the plot. The drawing was more for reference although we are hoping to build as far up to that boundary as we can (but without lots of complications!)

Ummm, did the parish council support your planning app?

Couple of points.

The 1.5 ton digger quoted for  is not going to dig a 2.4m deep footing (if required) on the whole plot

Muck away should be by grab loader and not skips, for speed and cost.

I removed large stumps and back filled the holes with clay that was removed from drainage runs on the site. This was compacted down and re excavated for footings. That gave me the same ground make up through out the plot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G and J said:

Ummm, did the parish council support your planning app?

Well funny you should mention that. There is only outline planning for a small 1 1/2 storey house on the opposite  side of the plot  to the carpark. There were no objections made at all during the application. Just going through the contract to sign, searches and other paperwork... solicitor has flagged that there is no covenant consent applied for,  so guessing they are waiting to see what is in the full planning and covenant consent application. Maybe off topic but... I do wonder if this flying through outline planning has anything to do with the land being sold by a prominent family in the village including being the lady mayoress a fair few years ago! Our plans are definitely for a bigger house than what appears on the outline plan, still 1 1/2 storey, but 20-30m2 smaller than the plans I shared earlier in this thread. 

2 minutes ago, twice round the block said:

Couple of points.

The 1.5 ton digger quoted for  is not going to dig a 2.4m deep footing (if required) on the whole plot

Muck away should be by grab loader and not skips, for speed and cost.

I removed large stumps and back filled the holes with clay that was removed from drainage runs on the site. This was compacted down and re excavated for footings. That gave me the same ground make up through out the plot.

Would backfilling reduce the stability at all? Would building control be happy at that. Certainly not questioning you, just asking because as with most things atm I have no idea!

5 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I would say that is long enough for the ground to recover.   so we don't consider it.

A big thirsty tree in clay may need a few years for the ground to recover. A small or less thirsty tree less so. But 6 years should be enough for anything....not that I've seen any studies of this. I have built near disappeared trees after  a year and not had problems, but that really depends on having a  proper winter with drizzle over a long period so that the ground gets properly wet and expands to its original form..

The village saw the worst flooding in years this winter. While the plot is on the opposite end of the village to the flooding the amount of rain we've had must help in this case then.

2 minutes ago, Jane W said:

Well funny you should mention that. There is only outline planning for a small 1 1/2 storey house on the opposite  side of the plot  to the carpark. There were no objections made at all during the application. Just going through the contract to sign, searches and other paperwork... solicitor has flagged that there is no covenant consent applied for,  so guessing they are waiting to see what is in the full planning and covenant consent application. Maybe off topic but... I do wonder if this flying through outline planning has anything to do with the land being sold by a prominent family in the village including being the lady mayoress a fair few years ago! Our plans are definitely for a bigger house than what appears on the outline plan, still 1 1/2 storey, but 20-30m2 smaller than the plans I shared earlier in this thread. 

Don’t know what a covenant consent thingy is, but…

Presumably you’re settled with the fallback position of being limited to that outline planning permission (I didn’t know that still existing), or if not, you’ve an exit strategy of selling the plot if you can’t get what you want.

1 minute ago, G and J said:

Don’t know what a covenant consent thingy is, but…

Presumably you’re settled with the fallback position of being limited to that outline planning permission (I didn’t know that still existing), or if not, you’ve an exit strategy of selling the plot if you can’t get what you want.

Yes, if the plans are too compromised then we'll probably get full planning for whatever we can get and then sell, woree case scenario.

Just now, Jane W said:

Yes, if the plans are too compromised then we'll probably get full planning for whatever we can get and then sell, woree case scenario.

Always good to understand your exit strategy, however heartbreaking….

• Like 1

Just now, Jane W said:

*worse*

On 12/06/2024 at 22:35, Jane W said:

Would backfilling reduce the stability at all? Would building control be happy at that. Certainly not questioning you, just asking because as with most things atm I have no idea!

Not if its  back filled with compacted clay layers, it will not compromise the footings as it is only holding back the sides of the excavated trench.

The depth of the dig will be stipulated by building control and your architect and results from the soil survey. 

The stump root ball even in clay will not go down more than two meters in depth, probably a lot less than that once the top soil around it has been scraped back and saved separately.

• Thanks 1

On 12/06/2024 at 22:43, Jane W said:

*worse*

worst is even worse.

14 minutes ago, twice round the block said:

Would backfilling reduce the stability at all?

not if done properly, yes if chucked in with lots of voids. the extra labour for doing this properly is covered by a reduction in disposing of it.

On 12/06/2024 at 22:39, G and J said:

the land being sold by a prominent family in the village

I doubt that made any difference. it might have done if there had been any objections, but you imply that there were not.

The LA has quotas to fill and they get government money per unit x 3 years and the  rates. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone who has commented. It makes me think that while there will be extra cost and extra things to consider, it's not necessarily the end of the world and as long as its factored in with some contingency on top, its probably doable. Your responses, as always, have been really helpful. 

3 hours ago, Jane W said:

Thank you everyone who has commented

Thanks for the thanks. It adds to the human kindness total for the day.

Its good to know when it makes a difference, whether if moving a project forward or advising of risks.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, mjc55 said:

Just a thought re driveway.  Have you got room to turn a car round there?  Can be an issue with planning.

Thanks for drawing attention to that. We have been looking at many options with regard to the layout of the site tbh, thinking about simplifying the design, leaving a bit more space around the boundary, considering where/whether to put a garage or carport within the design and the space for parking/turning too.

We've had a while to think on things as we've been looking into the fact that there is a possessory title on a slither of the land to the front of the plot which has been delaying the sale going through.

will be cheaper to pile if you go over 2m. Private building control indemnity limit for us was 2m anyway which meant warranty needed an engineered solution.

You will need an SE to design the footing, expect piles, steel ringbeam and no change from £30- £50k

I saved money by using a pile company which was owned by a structural engineer, so the design was included. There was a huge price variation so get 3 quotes. 
Also, you will might have to think about SuDS as a planning condition, if there’s been flooding nearby. It’s a whole new rabbit hole. 

• Like 1