Ms Helen Carpenter

Hello, I am a new member, a retired historic buildings carpenter and earlier a timber framer. Though based in Czechia my original contact was with reference to a property I have in the UK, a small terrace cottage with no outside space only foot access at the rear. Having read about air source heat exchangers being fitted in the Netherlands on just such terrace roofs I wanted to ask what the posibilities were in UK.

• Like 1

Welcome. That sounds an interesting problem - the ‘everyone should use heat pumps’ brigade seem to have ignored some common use cases e.g. not having much outside space. 

Hi Helen.

You'll increase your chances of a response if you start a post in the relevant sub-forum: https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/forum/140-other-heating-systems/

Give as much information as you can. For example, it would useful to know how big the space you want to mount the ASHP (air source heat pump) is and how close it is to the adjacent property.

Also, have you considered whether an ASHP is the most appropriate heating source based on the propery's insulation and energy consumption? That's something else that can be discussed if you raise it when you post in the forum above.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An ASHP wouldn't be feasible as it would technically intrude into private space and through the wall pumps I have no knowledge of. I referenced  a roof mounted unit which would be internally accessible and inserted much like a Velux because there is cuurent experience of them in the Netherlands. But I don't have any idea of the British development control attitude.  Many thanks for comments. Helen Carpenter