PV Panel Spec Comparison table by manufacturer basics, any body know of one?

Last time I looked into solar pv 12 years ago, I was able to source a specification table that I imagine had been compiled from all standard tests panels go through. I believe it was Rensmart who did it. The website exists still, but I can find no update. At the time the table had the following contents. Fun fact, most panels were about 12% efficient, with some under 6% but Sunpower approaching 20%. It was itemised as follows. Thanks

Product Manufacturer Width (mm) Height (mm) Area (Metre Squared) Watts per metre squared Efficiency % Technology Peak Output(Watts) Peak Voltage Peak Current

12 years ago there wasn't so many variants of manufacturer/panel compared to today. Im not saying its not out there but it would be a tall order to capture all of today's panels in one doc.

2 hours ago, Flyder said:

Was hoping someone knew of an official body must hold that info

Don't the MCS have a list, after all the installers are required to put the type and serial nos of yr panels on the certificate?

What about the body (forget the name) that has the register of all UK type-approved heat pumps?

On 06/06/2024 at 09:58, Flyder said:

Last time I looked into solar pv 12 years ago, I was able to source a specification table that I imagine had been compiled from all standard tests panels go through. I believe it was Rensmart who did it. The website exists still, but I can find no update. At the time the table had the following contents. Fun fact, most panels were about 12% efficient, with some under 6% but Sunpower approaching 20%. It was itemised as follows. Thanks

Product Manufacturer Width (mm) Height (mm) Area (Metre Squared) Watts per metre squared Efficiency % Technology Peak Output(Watts) Peak Voltage Peak Current

I tried to do something like this last year when I did our PV install, in the end I pretty much just found the highest output panels from good manufacturers I wanted to use and within a price range that kept the £/W ratio reasonable and made a little table - I came up with about 6 panels I actually wanted to use. 

There were, at the time, some panels about 575W but being new to the market, means costs were £££/W and they were bigger, much bigger, which meant I could actually fit less peak power on my roof as the sizes were awkward to tie in around the Velux's.

What I learned as well, was that you can plan and plan and plan, but when it comes to it, you more or less have an area you can utilise, stick with decent power density and you will more or less get the same same power be it using 10 500W panels or 11 450W panels but the 450W panels are probably a bit smaller and might suit your roof better.

If you have a huge area, lots of space, no obstructions then just get as many high power density panels onto your roof as you can.

On 06/06/2024 at 09:58, Flyder said:

Last time I looked into solar pv 12 years ago

So what are you trying to find out, where to get best efficiency i.e. smallest panel for a given output (generally the expensive one on the list) or best value? Or something different?

What do you want the list to do?

Panels are generally obsolete just after you buy them, so perhaps the lists don't exist anymore!

On 07/06/2024 at 13:42, Carrerahill said:

you can plan and plan and plan, but when it comes to it, you more or less have an area you can utilise,

Yes I think you have distilled it down perfectly in that quote!

On 07/06/2024 at 13:51, JohnMo said:

Panels are generally obsolete just after you buy them, so perhaps the lists don't exist anymore!

Yes you are probably right. The list I used was spreadsheet, sortable on size and output, useful as I had very little roof space. Sunpower came out the best for size to watt output, so that is what we went with. Now we no longer have a South facing roof and the two guys who have seen it (and quoted) dont seem to be paying much attention to the roof. which seems bizarre. One of them didnt even go up in the roof space for a look at the supporting structure. I think they want a deposit and will then starting adjusting "because what we quoted for wont fit" I have measured to the best of my ability and need to squeeze a quart out of a pint pot. I want to be sure that what I buy is right for me and not what their wholesale has on sale, or in stock. So it comes back to what  Carrerahill said earlier.