Drilling through a brick pier

Hi, I need to drill a 32mm hole, horizontally, through a 230mm x 350mm brick pier (through the 350mm deep part). This is to connect a rainwater downpipe diverter on one side, to the water butt on the other side. (going round the pier would look untidy and foul the gate)

I can see there are all types of drill bits available but considering this will be a one-off need, what is the cheapest type of drill bit that would be long enough to go through 350mm of brick and mortar using a standard Bosch electric hammer drill? Or, I guess with a shorter bit, I could drill from both sides and hope they meet in the middle :-)

Thanks in advance

Assuming this brick pier is holding something up is it a good idea to put that big a hole through it ?

That’s an eighth of the thickness you are taking out and I’d worry about damage to the integrity of the pier. 

Suggest you will need a biggish sds drill. First put a long pilot drill through all and a similar diameter to the pilot on your core drill. Then put a carbide or diamond core drill through, clearing out the hole regularly. Go a bit gentle to avoid breaking up the bricks - assuming these are standard bricks. Drill from both sides if you prefer.

No way you're getting this done with a normal hammer drill.

What diameter is the pipe? If it's 32mm, you'll want a bigger hole. Hire a core drill and appropriate sized bit for the weekend.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all your suggestions. I successfully drilled a 8mm pilot hole with a log masonry drill I already had and a borrowed SDS drill. I then used a 40mm bit with a 350mm shank off Amazon for £17. Took about an hour to get through from both sides.
image.png.fb19dc7198516338892532551675346b.png

holepic.jpg

• Like 2