Roof Margins for PV

Hi. I am trying to  judge how many panels I can fit on available roof space.

I googled for this and so far have answers of 200mm, 300mm, 18", and 1 m.

I assume distance from ridge of the roof is the same as bottom/side edge, but what is recommended around a flat roof dormer.

Links to official documents appreciated.

As far as I can tell there’s no hard and fast rule. It just should be designed to cope with wind loads etc. 

300mm seems pretty well accepted though. I’ve seen a lot at far far less than that though. 

23 hours ago, Flyder said:

I assume distance from ridge of the roof is the same as bottom/side edge, but what is recommended around a flat roof dormer.

Really you need to read the mounting system install instructions and know the wind zone you are. From there it will tell you clearly what is acceptable. You also need to confirm with your structural engineer the roof build up is acceptable for any additional loads imposed (uplift and downwards forces).

Taking hear say from the internet is not good enough. If you are doing a MCS install the installer will have full responsibility for what is or isn't acceptable. But with all things it's worth checking yourself and questioning.

On 02/06/2024 at 12:15, Flyder said:

I am also figuring out the same thing. Your best bet is to talk to an installer even if not's the one you plan to use. That's what I've done and that way you'll get real world advice. 

Depending on your roof covering, if you are wanting to install near to a ridge or gable verge, remember that the closer you go to the ridge to mount roof hooks to more disturbance you'll cause to any bedded tiles, if that's your build up. I stayed far enough away from our ridge/ verge to not disturb any mortar bedding and that was 4-500mm away

22 hours ago, Dillsue said:

Depending on your roof covering, if you are wanting to install near to a ridge or gable verge, remember that the closer you go to the ridge to mount roof hooks to more disturbance you'll cause to any bedded tiles, if that's your build up. I stayed far enough away from our ridge/ verge to not disturb any mortar bedding and that was 4-500mm away

Good point Thanks

JohnMo and LNP. Thank you. I am talking to the professionals but dont like their layouts! I was trying to come up with a better looking tesselation myself so I could suggest other options as the Opensolar website which they all seem to be using, seems to go one size fits all without knowing the exact dimensions of my roof.