Class Q Permitted Development: Change of Use of Agri Buildings to C3 Resi - Updated 21.05.2024

Posted (edited)

Class Q legislation has been updated from 21.05.2024

Currently, only the Amendment has been published:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2024/579/made

So needs to be read in the context of the previous Order with its updates

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/596/schedule/2/part/3/crossheading/class-q-agricultural-buildings-to-dwellinghouses

The main changes I see are that converted dwellinghouses are now limited to 150m² floor area each, where as previously you could convert 1 up to 456m² and another 4 up to 100m², although you can now convert up to 1000m² of floor area (previously 856m²). You can now however create up to 10 new properties when previously limited to 5.
Interestingly, in some circumstances you can now add an up to a 4m, single story extension to the rear of the building, if there is already hard-standing in that area. You can also now extend beyond the existing building envelope by 200mm, removing one of the particularly onerous rules of the previous legislation.

Edited by IanR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IanR said:

You can also now extend beyond the existing building envelope by 200mm, removing one of the particularly onerous rules of the previous legislation.

Interesting.

200mm - might you have time to give us a quick example of why 200mm matters so much please?

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Interesting.

200mm - might you have time to give us a quick example of why 200mm matters so much please?

For steel frame Agri buildings especially, the way the rules were set up meant that the existing steel portals would typically be visible externally on the walls, but have purlins on and a corrugated rain screen for the roof. Depending on how deep in plan the building is it may also have internal columns, which meant the converted building would have steel work external to the thermal envelope in the walls, but likely inside the thermal envelope for the roof and internal columns. With the Thermal conductance of steel that leads to a serious thermal bridge that needs to be mitigated. Allowing a 200mm "extension" beyond the existing envelope gives a chance of getting all the frame within the thermal envelope more cost effectively.

Edited by IanR
  • Like 1

On 22/05/2024 at 13:52, IanR said:

The main changes I see are that converted dwellinghouses are now limited to 150m² floor area each,

I can see some people not putting in a first floor to stay within the new floor area limit. Then later trying to add a mezzanine.

2 hours ago, Temp said:

I can see some people not putting in a first floor to stay within the new floor area limit. Then later trying to add a mezzanine.

That crossed my mind too, you just need to get your roof lights agreed with the initial Prior Notice application.