Path at back of garage

Posted (edited)

Hi, im after some advice please. 

We have a path, about 60cm wide, at back of the garage, which has come away from the garage wall. Its stood for decades.

On the other side of the path is a wooden fence which needs replacing.

The path has moved about 3cm away from the garage wall. 

The garage wall is fine, you can see the red bricks, on top of breeze blocks, but on the other side of the path, there are some broken flags propping it up.

Whats the correct way of fixing this? 

Im not sure what needs doing? How much it will cost? Is it a job for a bricklayer or a groundworker? 

Any advice lp appreciated, thanks.

Other side of Path. 

IMG_3859.jpg

Gap where path has come away from garage wall:

IMG_3861.jpg

IMG_3865.jpg

Edited by Bob123

Does the path get any use?

Can you replace the fence without needing to do anything to the path?

Think I would find an odd job man willing to break up the concrete and replace with a gravel path if it doesn't get much use. Replace the fence before putting gravel down as he will need somewhere to put the dirt from the fence post holes.

What is the other side of the fence?  Is the land the other side of the fence lower.  i.e. is the row of concrete blocks by the fence acting as a supporting wall that has failed and it is all slipping down to the lower ground?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Temp said:

Does the path get any use?

Can you replace the fence without needing to do anything to the path?

Think I would find an odd job man willing to break up the concrete and replace with a gravel path if it doesn't get much use. Replace the fence before putting gravel down as he will need somewhere to put the dirt from the fence post holes.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

What is the other side of the fence?  Is the land the other side of the fence lower.  i.e. is the row of concrete blocks by the fence acting as a supporting wall that has failed and it is all slipping down to the lower ground?

Hi, thanks for the replies.

It doesnt get much use no. The garage sits on one corner of the property, and the path runs down one side of the garage, and around the back of the garage. The path down the side of the garage is level with the adjacent neighbours garden. But, at the back, our garden is about two feet higher than the adjacent property. (They built our street first, and its higher than the street behind)

The path at the back of garage, looks like it is basically a two feet high wall made of stone and bricks with concrete and flags on top of it. Its not loose or wobbling but its sloping away, from the garage wall hence the gap. Those broken flags which look like they are propping it up, are mainly cosmetic i think, but they may have some structural purpose. Because the neighbour at the backs garden is lower, it might be slipping?

The other side of the fence is the neighbours lawn, which is about two feet lower than the surface of the path.

Theres no way i can prop it up, push it back towards the garage wall, pin it somehow then? do I need to have the entire path broken up, removed/remade, is it going to get worse, unless i do something about it? Does it need to be fixed to the garage wall? 

I shouldnt just get someone to pour some concrete in the gap to fill it up and leave it at that? 

What kind of tradesman do i need, or will a good odd jab man be able to do it? 

Cheers

Edited by Bob123